PayPal - Excellent opportunities to learn and innovate | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

"Excellent opportunities to learn and innovate"

Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation. The company encourages it and if you have an idea, you can work it. This is a rare opportunity to be part of something great and make a difference at an individual level. The work-life balance is great. There are wonderful, smart and driven people to collaborate with. It brings out the best in me as I'm surrounded by top talent.

Cons

The company is at an inflection point. It's experiencing tremendous growth, but knows its competitors, who are small and nimble, are gaining ground. It knows it needs to change, but it's not quite sure how to change its own culture. We have a goal, but the roadmap on how to achieve the goal is unclear. Roles and responsibilities are unclear. Multiple teams solving the same problem in different ways without communicating. It's not crazy here, just feels like the first 30 seconds of Iron Chef. We're going to produce something amazing, if we can just find the salt.

Advice to Management

We are not a startup any longer, we need to enforce accountability, not just talk about it. I'm not saying to instill a culture of fear; but we lack a culture of discipline and accountability.

Other Employee Reviews for PayPal

"Constant org changes, poor work / life balance"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong business that continues to drive growth and profits
    Global reach, with a strong presence in many international markets
    Smart co-workers
    Nice campus, with great cafeterias
    Driving some pockets of innovation

Cons

Unwieldy technology base hampers new product development
    Constant re-orgs (I had 4 managers over 2 years)
    Constantly focusing on the next shiny new thing, sucking resources from other initiatives
    Cutthroat environment - not many team players
    24/7 culture means poor work / life balance

Advice to Management

PayPal is no longer a small scrappy startup, so like it or not, you can't change strategies / org structures on a whim without impacting employees, partners and our customers.

2. "Great experience, mediocre system, and poor development environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at PayPal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company which is doing extremely well in the marketplace. In some groups, the code you touch affects the livelihood of millions of people. A great place to learn about payments and payments processing. Some really top notch engineers.

Cons

More than a few mediocre engineers just coasting. The code base is kind of a mess, although many efforts are being made to fix things. The development environment, building and testing, was a real mess when I was there, although I hear that things have gotten a bit better.

Advice to Management

Prioritize improving the development environment, reducing needless processes, and shortening the list of objectives and priorities.