PayPal - Overall some really talented, committed dedicated engineers solving complex relevant problems - but poor infrastructure | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

"Overall some really talented, committed dedicated engineers solving complex relevant problems - but poor infrastructure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

will get to work on very interesting, complex problems if you are so inclined
some really talented committed people at various levels

Cons

poor infrastructure and not so great processes - so need to invest some time initially (and on-and-off) to learn how to navigate these quickly

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom and more visibility to share their achievements

Other Employee Reviews for PayPal

1. "Work at PayPal if you have good political skills and don't care about work life balance."

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer (MTS1) in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer (MTS1) in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary & benefits. Soccer field.

Cons

Horrible performance review process, very political.

"It has improved to a certain degree"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is ok... had to take a severe pay cut to move to Chandler from Omaha. Given that I have been with the company for going on 8 years now, one would think my pay would have stayed the same, but there is nothing like that offered for employee loyalty. Great insurance. Job stability.

Cons

I have worked at PayPal for going on 8 years and have not been able to move up the ladder. It is very difficult to move within the company because 20-50 people will apply for 1 position. And, unless you know someone already doing that job who is willing to refer you, your chances of getting the job are slim...it's more about "who" you know than "what" you know. The jobs are so monotonous that they're simply not challenging enough, so unless you're close to retiring and just need a job to get you by until then, this may not be the place for you. The technology is outdated and management keeps saying they are going to improve on it, but have yet to follow through on the promise...they have been promising that since I started my first day on the job. It's a very micromanaged workplace. Never used to be that way. I used to love coming into work every day. Then they cracked down on the stats and introduced a stupid "development plan" that doesn't seem to get you anywhere in the company; I have never understood the purpose of the development plan. They say management looks at it, but I have never know them to. If you work extra hard, it only yields a pat on the back. They are more strict on dress code in Chandler than they are in Omaha, which doesn't make much sense given Omaha is the corp. headquarters. So, they are focused on appearance/attire, but allow employees to act immature and be noisy which carries over to the customers on the phone; this would NOT be tolerated in Omaha --that only gives the customers a bad perception of PayPal. There is nothing for employee loyalty or retention.

Advice to Management

I understand the need of focusing on the customer, but you also need to invest in and focus on the well-being and happiness of your employees. Those who work hard should be promoted for their continuous efforts and knowledge; they shouldn't have to apply for a position in order to "hopefully" get a promotion. I've never understood that concept and never will.