PayPal - OK place for a tech person | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

"OK place for a tech person"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company works on an exciting business area.

Cons

Too many changes/re-org. Overshadowed by eBay.

Other Employee Reviews for PayPal

"Entrenched employees and political atmosphere"

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great brand, generous benefits, and lots of ambition to do new things on a global scale.

Cons

Low accountability for poor performing employees, entrenched middle management resistant to change, very bureaucratic organization, highly political with big decisions made for the wrong reasons, and doesn't hesitate to ask employees to work nights and weekends.

Advice to Management

Reduce the staff and focus roadmap. The organization is big and unwieldy because middle management can't make trade offs, so rather than develop great simple products it develops tons of mediocre ones. Make it easier to partner with outside vendors rather than try to build all technology in house. Most engineers at PayPal are generalists and don't have the domain knowledge or prior experience to do superior work.

"Big company with a small company feel and problems"

Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paypal has an incredible work/life balance. The salary and benefits are so good that while it's time for me to move on, it's hard to find anything better. I enjoy the people that I work with and I'm empowered so long as I can execute with my existing resources.

Cons

There is very little accountability, until someone breaks something. Management does not push standards down, leading to every team doing its own thing. Lots of duplication and disjointed processes, which is frustrating. Lots of re-orgs, so never really sure who is responsible for what over the long term. Very limited opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Review your tooling strategy. I believe every vendor out there has tools at PayPal. Lots of duplication of processes and efforts. Tools don't talk to each other.