PayPal - A downright toxic work environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PayPal

"A downright toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules
Working with some of the best talent in the industry

Cons

Top down management style (explained below)

What the new senior management has been doing as part of a drive to redesign the company is to eliminate certain units, redesign some and grow a chosen few. The method of implementation however has not been to layoff employees, but it has been to create a very hostile work environment in specific groups and departments to encourage attrition. And in some cases where individuals do not leave in a few months - as a last resort, some employees get specifically targeted at each level where in a situation would be created for them that pushes them to leave. They would find themselves in a situation where a new construct requires a different skill set. Or their existing jobs may suddenly require them to work in a different location owing to a new drive in which every member of a single functional unit is to be sitting in the same office. Hence they would either end up in a situation in which they may be fired by finding some excuses for poor performance, or they get fed up and leave on their own if they act first.

What is also unfortunate is in such a environment, nepotism, racism and favoritism tends be very rampant as everyone tries to save their own skin

Advice to Management

Change your management style - this may be one of the world's biggest startups, but it may still need a method that is different from an emerging startup of less than a 1000 employees. The company's reputation may only get more damaged in this way.

Other Employee Reviews for PayPal

"It was a great company to work for in the first few years."

I have been working at PayPal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. We had were all focused on hitting our goals and making our deportment great. The management truly believed the values that were set by the president. Great work/life balance. You felt like you working for a very unique company. PayPal management would recognize that their best assets was the people that worked for them. They promoted with in and didn't what other companies did.

Cons

Brought in outside management that could only manage by assigning a number on a task. Decrease pay and shares of stock given to employees, but increased managers pay. PayPal does not care about employees input because "the staff" can be replaced. They are also starting to outsource more positions. Managers always hiring their friend to come to work in other management positions instead of looking inside the company.

Advice to Management

Upper management should actually speak wight he employees instead of listening to the middle management staff. Which there is way too much of!!! No one can make a decision.

2. "Love the people"

I have been working at PayPal full-time

Pros

The company is beginning to create a new vision under David Marcus. There is a great belief among the people that we can actually do what we are dreaming.

Cons

This is a big time of change, a lot of pain... but again we have to go through it to see future benefit.