Paychex - Salary not subsequent to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

"Salary not subsequent to work"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

Pros

Great benefits and great learning enviorment

Cons

Starting is not high enough for the amount of work you do.

Other Employee Reviews for Paychex

"Paychex is an awful place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist

Pros

There aren't many good reasons to work at Paychex... I'd say the only good thing I have gotten from my experience is the knowledge about payroll taxes. I've learned a lot of information in that regard, but only because as an employee here you get tons of clients thrown at you with all sorts of problems that you have to figure some things out quicky. Also, I've personally learned what I DON'T want in an employer from working here.

Cons

Paychex doesn't have much respect for their payroll specialists. Payroll specialists are the front-line of this company... we are the ones who handle all the crap work, and deal with the clients on a day-to-day basis, but yet, as a company, Paychex gives us no respect. They roll out all the works for the sales department, but during National Payroll week don't do a thing for the payroll specialists. A lot of the managers "say" they care to help raise moral, but don't actually listen to their employee's suggestions.

Paychex does not allow overtime either. Which is pretty riduculous at year-end when we have "block out time" because we are so busy, but are kicked out the door at 5pm. And when clients complain that their problems aren't fixed in a timely manner, these come back to the payroll specialists who have 300+ clients and aren't allowed to work over 40 hours a week to get things done.

Also, many supervisors don't understand the concept of confidentiality. I've overheard supervisors gossiping to one another about a reason an employee left early for a doctors appointment. The supervisors, and management, also promise things but never delivery. You can be promised some kind of reward, but it will be taken away without notice. They will also plan fun surprises, but never come through with them.

Overall, this company seems to be getting worse and worse.

Advice to Management

I don't think there's enough space on this website to let management know what I think would need to be done to help fix this company...

""If they don't want to do what their told they can quit, we'll just replace them." quote from assistant branch manager."

Pros

Good initial training and a paid two week trip to NY. Most offices seem to be clean and sanitary.

Cons

Promised promotions and raises based off passing courses and "levels" with no time to study and your fired if you take the material home with you. Management treats you like chattel and you should kiss their butt constantly to thank them for letting you work there. Supervisors are not qualified to lead. 60+ hours of work to do in 40 hours and then get yelled at for not completing it all. Corporate office that cares less about their customers then they do about their employees and they care very little about their employees. Software systems that create mass errors for your assigned clients and then you are blamed for the problems. Raise based of your ability to juggle an overload of clients that are over promised on the abilities of the product. Annual raise maximum in the office was 3% this year.

Sales staff that over promises and lies to clients and then you are the bad guy when you tell them the truth.
    I could go on for pages but will stop with the return to the initial quote above. You are treated like you are dirt.

Advice to Management

Your employee's work tremendously hard to take care of your clients. Providing faulty tools and poor mid level management is not a good idea and doesn't work well at all. Daily we are told to build a perfect house and are given broken tools to do the job. You have the opportunity to grow tremendously but remember that your clients are your income and your front level team needs to be treated with respect so they show that same treatment to your clients.