Paychex - 60 hours work in 40 hours of time and disciplined if you can't do it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

"60 hours work in 40 hours of time and disciplined if you can't do it."

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Central Valley, CA
Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Central Valley, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady check from a company that isnt going to fold tomorrow. Consistent gig while you go to night school to get a better job.

Cons

technical work with minimal training. Horrid software that fails and the employee gets blamed. Incredibly poor mid and lower management!!!!! Promotion goes to whom the mid level manager likes and not to who is best qualified.... the stories I could tell about inept supervisors and managers. Terribly low pay for the work required. The fun comes when you are paying employees for other companies making twice what you do and you know they are doing less than half the work.

Advice to Management

Develop a team between operations and NY. This is a truly antagonistic relationship that will be the major cause of your down fall.

I honestly believe, even though the financials appear different, that this company will have a major restructure in the next 5 years or will fail. Payroll is not handled by companies in the "same old way" and if you dont catch up with technology and quality you will be in the same boat as Sears.

I left the company to take over as the bookkeeper/payroll/ HR/ accountant for a small company. I certainly wouldnt allow my new company to become a client of Paychex and this new job with less than half the stress pays twice as much.

Other Employee Reviews for Paychex

"Great company to work for and grow with."

Former Employee - Major Market Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Market Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great atmosphere and they foster growth. Great compensation plan for a true salesperson. A lot of people build a career and stay a long time with the company.

Cons

One of the lowest base salaries in the industry. Not always the best managers- so a person MUST be self-motivated.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on your mid-level managers. They tend to get stagnant.

2. "Its what you make of it"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great training
    -Good hard working people
    -Uncapped commissions
    -flexible work hours (sales)
    -Good benefits

Cons

- Always reacting to market place, ADP is major player and always developes their own software and Paychex purchases software
    -Extremely territory driven
    -Base salaries low
    -Too many issues with software, always over promising and under delivering
    -Need single data base technology
    Management doesn't care at all about tenure, "what have you done for me lately"