Paychex - Great company | Glassdoor

"Great company"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

They care about their employees and they care about their customers. Great benefits, no layoffs, no arbitrary changes every other week. Stable, consistant professional work environment.

Cons

Salary and commission structure is causing massive turnover in the sales divisions.

Advice to Management

Reduce turnover of the top 50%-30% of your sales force by matching the compensation of Paychex's main competitors.

Other Employee Reviews for Paychex

"Premier HR Solution Sales"

Current Employee - Premier Sales Consultant in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Premier Sales Consultant in Orange, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I believe the benefits plan at Paychex is wonderful. The people I work with are amazing people and the training I received is irreplaceable.

Cons

Paychex has went from the Top 100 companies to work for by Fortune down to a company that treats their employees like a number. I want to explain that I am an employee that always wins the sales trips. The new CEO has changed the climate of our culture. He came from operations and has never been in the field or in our shoes. His management style is strictly on the numbers we bring in as a company. I agree that increasing revenue is every companies goal but unfortunately they have humans working for them and not machines.

This past 2 years I have felt the service level of our products have suffered. I cannot sell something that I no longer believe is quality. I have seen a high turn over in our HR Generalist roles. They are overworked and have way too many clients to actually provide the service model we used to promise our clients. As sales people, its easy for us to bring in the numbers if the product is excellent but after I sell each program, I make a wish that something won't screw up. 3 out of 10 times, I'll lose the sale because the people I rely on drop the ball. These people are dropping the ball because the company will not hire more people to fit the demand of clients. Their moto is the economy is suffering so we are hiring less and making you all work more. I don't think working more is the issue but when the service starts suffering because people are overworked this becomes a major issue. I rely on operations to provide great service once I sell to the client. Instead, I have been getting emails with complaints every day. I think their product was great, it is no longer what it used to be. I have the same feeling about our company.

Advice to Management

Realize that your customer is the reason your company is alive. The great service your employees provide are the reason your customers stay with Paychex. If your employees are overworked and overwhelmed, service will suffer and your customers will leave. Your top sales people will leave, as many have this year. You might start seeing yourself dipping into your debt free fund Paychex.

"Not paid enough for the amount of stress you deal with on a daily basis"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close contact with fellow co-workers. An all expenses paid trip to New York, and the hotel and accomodations are top notch.

Cons

One person for over 100 clients means that you are not providing very good client service. There are no real perks to working for this job. Every training material you have is in paper which is ridiculous in this age of the internet.

Advice to Management

Hire more reps to handle the volume of clients.