Paychex - Great support system, but very big workload. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Paychex

"Great support system, but very big workload."

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Training program is great. They invest a lot of money to send you to their headquarters, but I feel it could be taught more efficiently.
-My team in particular is a great support system, and always offer help when they have free time, which in this position, can mean a lot.
-My branch tries to make the environment as "stress free" as possible, with casual days and fun contests, bingo etc. Its nice to take your mind off of things for a minute.
-Benefit program is great

Cons

-Software is not great, it can cause errors and mistakes on things that you get yelled at for by clients

-Very overworked. I started with 240 clients the first day back. Most of my coworkers have upwards of 300+. They keep piling more on until you just do not have time for everyone. I feel this is how mistakes are made, and clients get frustrated because you cannot respond to them right away.

Overtime is not allowed. You must get all of your work done within your 8 hour day, and it just seems like you have such little time to accomplish anything. A typical day can consist of 40-65 payroll calls, let alone tax notices to research, employee maintenance, billing questions, etc. Oh, and walking clients through the online system.
-I just feel that we do multiple jobs all compiled into one, that we are not compensated nearly enough for.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to hiring structure, and what your employees in the field are really needing. It is impossible to accommodate that many clients at once.

Other Employee Reviews for Paychex

1. "Sales Training dream"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take you right out of undergrad and give you rigorous sales training. Sets you up for future success.

Cons

Rochester winters are brutal. Better hope your training isn't between November and March.

Advice to Management

Move HQ to Arizona

"Not all it is cracked up to be, not as advertised."

Current Employee - Major Market Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Major Market Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. There is a team that will help make outbound prospecting to supplement what you do on your own. There is also a designated service rep model which is a good selling point and competitive advantage.

Cons

The comp plan for Major Markets is the same regardless of where you live throughout the country. (no change for cost of living in Bay Area where avg. price of homes and cost of living is double or triple that of other areas of the country) The way they track revenue has changed significantly over the last few years but the comp plan never changed to reflect the new way that revenue is recognized, making it virtually impossible to make the advertised $120k+ in this position. At plan, this position literally plays $88-90k. There are a few accelerators you can reach but the first one doesn't kick in until you far exceed quota. The technology improvements that were supposed to be live within 6 months of my hire, are still likely 2 years away from being a functional tool to sell to businesses with 50+ employees. In effect, you are selling technology that is about 8+ years old. If you get an appointment with a former client who is willing to see what has changed, you literally are showing them the same exact technology they had when they left 5 years ago.

Advice to Management

Hire some smart techies to fast track the next generation software before it too becomes obsolete. Recognize the value that Major Market brings to all the other growing business units that prospect to them exclusively.