Paycom - Amazing opportunity to make an abundance of money and change your life trajectory | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Paycom

"Amazing opportunity to make an abundance of money and change your life trajectory"

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative
Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take training very seriously and equip their reps with great tools to sell.

Cons

There are not alot of cons. It really is what you make it. If you don't do well that is completely on you.

Advice to Management

Put more cash into R&D

Other Employee Reviews for Paycom

"A few rotten apples do not tell the REAL and TRUE story about Paycom"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow, a company that cares, compensation that is unbeatable

Cons

Past sales reps who did have the ethic and skill to be successful trying to make other great candidates not apply

Advice to Management

If a prospective sales representative wants the REAL and TRUE story of Paycom, then you should hear it from someone who has been successful and has worked hard to make their own success. While you can read the negative reviews from past employees (who clearly did not have the skills and work ethic to be successful) it is important that you understand, this job is not for everyone but the negative reviews on here are so outrageously untrue.

First of all, I have NEVER had to sacrifice work-life balance to work at Paycom. I have never had to go to a managers house on a Saturday to practice talk tracks and scripts. I have never had anyone undermine my success or set me up in a position to fail.

What I have done:
    • I have had managers and leaders that have worked tirelessly to help me achieve success.
    • I have learned how to effectively and efficiently organize my time and efforts so that I can be outrageously successful WHILE maintaining an amazing work life balance.
    • I have learned an entire industry, oh which I knew nothing about, and I am now able to confidently walk into an office employing thousands of employees and meet with the CEO and CFO of a company, and leave knowing that he looks at me as his equal. Keep in mind, I am 29 years old and most CEOs and CFOs I meet with are in their 50's-60's.
    • I have learned that in order to be successful in work and in life, I have to be willing to continually invest in my own education, goals, and work ethic. This did not require me to give up my friends and my life, but actually enhanced it, opening doors to meeting more influential people and experiences than ever before.
    • Also, since everyone complains about the PTO schedule, I will say that I have been able to afford and visit more places around the world, since joining Paycom, than I ever have in my life. Again you just have to plan and be willing to prioritize.
    • In two years, I have solidified my place at this company and have already been given the opportunity to be promoted to manage my own sales team in one of the best cities in the United States. This did not come by sitting back and expecting someone to give me this opportunity. I set a goal for myself and knew that my capabilities and work ethic were unrivaled and I worked to achieve this success.
    • I have made the kind of money that one would expect to make with the right drive and ambition. I will not tell you exactly how much, but I would say that most surgeons and top notch lawyers would be envious of the money I have already made at this point in the year. And it just continues to grow each year I have been with this company.
    • Paycom, as a company, is one of the most close-knit, family oriented companies I have ever worked for.
    • Although we have nearly 1,000 employees, I know most employees on a personal level. It is extremely rewarding to know that the vast majority of my co-workers share my vision for building our company and we are all invested in that reality.

Honestly, I could go on for much longer about my positive experience, and it would impress you. However, reading some of the negative reviews from sales reps that clearly underperformed, I ask instead that they, and you as prospective employees reading this, do one thing: take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of future you want.

This job is hard, just as any top-tier professional sales role will be. It is not for someone that does not dream big and have the work ethic to back it up. You will not be coddled along the way and provided instant success just because you are expecting it. There will be days that test your will and make you wonder if you‘re the right person for this role..

However, those that have a deep desire to achieve more than they ever thought possible, this is the place to be. If you want a rewarding career that promotes personal growth and responsibility, this is the place to be. If you want to make more money than anyone else you know, this is the place to be. You can be the only one that decides your future, and it will come through hard work and perseverance, but do not diminish your ability to be outrageously successful with Paycom because of a few bad reviews from past employees who were not strong enough or determined enough to succeed.

Paycom Response

Aug 18, 2014 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell your Paycom story. It is people like yourself that make Paycom the success it has become today.

"Whoever says Paycom does not require ENDLESS work hours... they're lying"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands down, this is a company in which you can make GREAT money, especially as a recent college grad (as they tend to hire).

Unheard of starting base, with no experience (50k) and you make 10% of every sale you make. Also, additional bonuses for starting on time (2%).

They also give you car allowance (that is supposed to cover wear and tear, insurance, and gas) which I believe is $500/month.

Cell phone allowance= $25/month... really low, but they pay you so high elsewhere that this can be overseen.

$1 health insurance (with no dependents)

Again, the pros of working for this company is all monetary.

They're sales training is amazing! My core foundation of understanding sales and the sales process has been thanks to Paycom. This, is something that no one can take away from them.

When you first begin the position you have 2 weeks of non-stop training in the office (with your national training class via conference and WebEx meetings) They will focus more on product in those 2 weeks and some people have even gotten fired during this phase if they are not picking up the system quickly enough. They then they fly you out to corporate headquarters for another week of sales training. (to say we started out as about 16 people in my training class in 2012 and now there are only 2 who are still currently working there still... turn over is that bad. If you make it past your first year, you tend to be labeled as one of the rookies in your office).

Cons

Where to begin!!!!!

First of all, they hire recent college graduates because, frankly, they don't know any better. They sell you on all the money that you will be making, but rest assure there is NO work/life balance with this position.

I was not a rep who did not do well... on the contrary, I was the top rep in my office the entire time I was there. I clearly had the work ethic and drive, but there comes a point where you realize money is not everything. I was miserable and that misery affected my personal relationships with my friends, significant other, and family. To me, there is no career that is worth sacrificing all of those things.

As a sales rep, you are not only expected to sell, but also IMPLEMENT (meaning endless amounts of tax packets that you have deadlines in which you need to send to the Setup Team) but you are also expected to TRAIN and be on-hand to run their first payroll. Selling, is the easiest part, the most difficult and time-consuming aspect of your position will be doing this. I can safely say that I have stayed in the office till 10pm or with my clients, training and setting up, until that time. You are also expected to be in the office at 7:30am!

You can also sell a new business, but if you do not stick around to start it (run their first payroll with them), then you do not get your commission. The person who ultimately gets the commission is the one who is there to hit 'submit' for the first time. And if your client leaves within 6 months, they can take that commission away from you.

Also, while you are implementing and training, you are expected to still sell and set 7 NEW APPOINTMENTS every week out of a list of approximately 100-120 businesses they give you. You must call on these businesses TWICE a week... same people, same companies,same lines you try to give them all the time. So you can imagine, with time, appointments lessen.

The reason they are able to pay those 50k base is because you essentially are doing about 3 peoples jobs.

Their Time off policies are also terrible:
    5 vacation
    5 sick

They also have blackout months, which you cannot request any time off whatsoever. And even though they only give you a measly 5 vacation days, it is still frowned upon to take all of your time off. You would think with how much they overworked you, they would give you more time to destress.

Paycom Response

Sep 16, 2014 – Representative

While we appreciate your review it is disheartening to hear you feel so negatively in regards to career that you pointed out has many amazing perks including pay and training. We strive for a ... More