Payless ShoeSource - Basic Retail Position | Glassdoor

"Basic Retail Position"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Provo, UT
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Provo, UT

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The shoe discount is fantastic, and I got to work with a lot of great girls. With a good Smile's captain all the work can get done- a great leadership system.

Cons

Some disorganization- like not knowing when you'll be working until that morning, which is hard for a college student trying to fit in school events and homework.

Advice to Management

Just a little more organization would be great! A work schedule at least a half a week in advance would be fantastic and very helpful. But the work environment was great and I loved my time there!

Other Employee Reviews for Payless ShoeSource

1. "A college job and thankfully nothing more."

Former Employee - Key Carrier
    Former Employee - Key Carrier

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the first year that I worked at Payless, the job was fun with flexible hours. I did work holidays with no extra pay, but that is to be expected as a part time associate. The company provided great training when I started the job as well as periodical reward opportunities to keep associates motivated.

Cons

After a year, my manager suddenly dropped every associate's hours without warning. I personally dropped from 20 hours per week to 5 or less. She was extremely immature about the matter. When I first asked about the drop, I was told that it was just because the new employee she had hired had to complete training in a week and my hours would return to normal. After being too busy to answer any of my phone calls for 3 weeks, she finally told me that although I had done nothing wrong, my hours wouldn't return to normal. I had worked several times on little or no notice because kept hiring pregnant employees as well as holidays. I had been a key carrier for 14 months and won several of the aforementioned sales competitions. She never gave me a reason for lowering my hours, but I assume that it was because I was due for a raise and she wanted to hire someone that she could start back out at minimum wage. She made work miserable until I finally quit along with another associate in the same predicament.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to promote from the inside rather than hire outside managers to keep from gaining people like her. She may be saving $.10 an hour per employee, but ultimately cost you hard-working and devoted employees that had gained knowledge about the company that only comes with experience.

2. "It payed the bills, good associate discount."

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Quality of the job depends on who you are working with.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for the wage that you get payed.