Payless ShoeSource - Retail Marketing strategy | Glassdoor

"Retail Marketing strategy"

Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Intern in Kansas City, MO

Pros

People are very nice. their biz model works really well. Fast moving since it is fashion forward. My boss is very smart and nice.

Cons

Since the products are cheap. The margin is not very high. The job would not be very luxury. Companies tried to cut cost...

Advice to Management

Need to motivate more innovation and creativeness. Need to bring in more young people and create energy for the company to move faster like fashion forward

Other Employee Reviews for Payless ShoeSource

"HATED IT!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Employee discount was reasonable--50% off a pair of cheap shoes once a month & 30% all the other cheap shoes. Work here only if you LOVE their shoes, shop here a lot, and would like discounts on them. Co-workers were fun to work and talk with, though I think co-workers would be the best part of any job really. The hours were extremely flexible-- I just tell my manager the days I won't be able to work or if I know I have something planned & tell her a week ahead.

Cons

TOO MANY THINGS! The company expects too much from every one of their associates with too little pay! This is what a sales associate is expected to do everyday: greet every single customer that comes through the door, then say the day's promotion. For e.g., "everything in the store today is buy one get one half off the lower or equal value" And that is a heck lot to say to every single customer. Then, if you're on the floor, you have to harass every single customer to buy shoes. you're supposed to first ask them what their size is, bring them there, then ask them what they're looking for today. This is hard as most customers would say, "just looking" as soon as you ask them anything. But you can't just go, you have to continue bothering the heck outta them! You have to observe what they may like, then take out two pairs of shoes or more and place them directly on their hands. Afterward, you have to suggest accessories. You have to bring something from the accessory section, and again, hand it to them, lying while saying "this goes well with your shoes. You'll look great with it!" or whatever BS you have. Let me remind you that you have to do this to EVERY customer so if you have 5 customers shopping at the same time, you have to be quick and provide this "excellent customer service" to all of them. During your "free time" which no body will have, you have to straighten out the shoes that are being basically turned upside down from cheap customers. You also have to use the long sticks they have & take shoes from the top to fill in holes, which are often very heavy, can fall on your head, and take a long time. I swear they want us to be superhuman or something.

If you work on the register, it seems better than working at the floor at first, but eventually it gets worse. Since I work at a pretty busy store, the customer line for check out seems to never end. To every customer, I first have to force a smile and say "did you find everything alright?" then ask for their phone number! Most people don't like giving it out because it's understandable, I wouldn't want telemarketers calling me either. But you have to harass them to get it b/c you have to get 90% of all the customer's phone #s , which is called the CRM. Then you have to ask them to give you their address and email.. like seriously? All this isn't necessary to buy a pair of shoes! You have to say all this junk like you'll send them a 20% coupon if you give your address and 15% if you give your email to us. Then you have to take out the security tags and then harass them to buy shoe care products! So say they are buying suede boots, you have to think of something quickly , for example, say "would you like to buy a suede cleaner to clean your suede boots? its only $5." Not only is the customer you are checking out extremely annoyed with you at the moment, but so are the other customers in the line. Because of all this harassing, it takes a pretty long time to check out one customer , so the line gets extremely long. But here's this: other associates cannot give you help unless there are 5+ customers! The people on register has a lot of responsibility because they have to keep the CRM up, 90% or more. then get at least 50% addresses, 20% emails. The daily conversions , like a customer to item has to be about 21 (varies depending on your store volume), UPT which is units per transaction. Each customer has to buy two or more items per day, so at the end of the day you have to get 2% or more. You also have a sales goal to reach for each day, bigger stores ~$6000/day.
    All these daily goals are big deals because if you can't reach the 2% UPTs, 90% CRM, etc. you get yelled at A LOT during the group conference calls. You have to have EVERYTHING good.. not just CRMs, but UPTs etc as well. At store meetings, the manager prints out the progress of every cashier. The list will tell you if you "hurt" the store or "helped" the store, which is extremely embarrassing.

It's really hot during the summer and cold during the winter. Not only is the store cheap, the manager is cheap as well! The AC was never on during the summer, which made the store seem even hotter than outside. In the winter, there's no heat. ALSO, this started in Sept, but all employees that have a lunch break (work 5+ hours) need to take an HOUR UNPAID BREAK so the cheap company can "save on payroll". this is required! And this is stupid because it takes forever for every associate to take turns to go on break & all the covering up for another associate while they are on break is a mess. All this work , and all you get paid is minimum wage! after 60 days, you get like a 15 cent raise, but that's it. My foot is extremely sore at the end of each day.

*P.S. some things might just be different for other stores, but you guys get it--It's just a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

stop treating your associates like crap & reward them more for their hard work. give out raises more often. Also, please stop being so cheap. You can save on anything else, but saving on employees' payroll??? c'mon now. Oh yeah, and no one wants to harass others to buy cheap shoes...

"Unless your starving go work elsewhere"

Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

the discount is generous & I love shoes !!!!

Cons

The computers are a million years old and freeze up every day. They are 2 cheap to fix it. Our a/c was broke and would not turn off. We were wearing gloves in the store.It was 52 degrees inside. it took them two weeks to approve the repair. The cost of a family medical plan monthly is more than a luxury car payment. Managers never get enough payroll and wind up working 50 plus hours a week. THANKSGIVING IS NOT A PAID HOLIDAY. The smiles program does not work. We tested it in our store.... friendly can I help you find anything? service..... always got better conversion then the pushy smiles program...they actually want you to measure and talk to children before parents???....can u say creepy :-( we got Silly Bands a year after the fad died for three times more then they sell anywhere else????

Advice to Management

The nineties are over! STOP sending us the shoes from that decade!UPDATE THE LOOK OF YOUR STORES! Have a heart...almost every other corporation in the country pays their people holiday pay for Thanksgiving...and $400 dollars a month for health insurance...when many of employees are lucky to get 10 an hour is heartless. Shame on you CEOS