Peace Corps - A great job and wonderful experience as long as you can tolerate an inadequate, overworked, blame driven support staff. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

"A great job and wonderful experience as long as you can tolerate an inadequate, overworked, blame driven support staff."

Current Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Volunteer in Washington, DC

Pros

To live in another country, help underdeveloped communities, and experience the world in ways we could never in America.

Cons

Management skills are wanting and support is almost non existent in Morocco. Hopefully, this is not the case in other countries.

Advice to Management

Give us an opportunity to do our jobs, do not micro manage, and listen to us. We are the ones in the field, we have valid perspectives that are in most cases more pertinent than your theory in Rabat. Furthermore, we were chosen by Washington to do this job because we are talented intelligent capable people. Please stop treating us like we are 5 years old.

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

"The mission is noble but the management of it is not"

Current Employee - Country Desk Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Country Desk Officer in Washington, DC

Pros

The mission of Peace Corps, as first outlined by President Kennedy, remains true today. The noble acheivements and enthusiasm by Volunteers past and present are the fuel that keeps this organization alive. Interaction with volunteers can be invigorating and rewarding. The management here is understanding if you need some extra time off to deal with any issues, and there is enough downtime to get in a good vacation. The people that work here - from nurses to IT specialists, to desk jockeys to and consultants - are fantastic. While some are returned Peace Corps volunteers, many are not and yet still can identify with the underlying mission of providing to support to those who are supporting others. Peace Corps does good work and everyone here is so enthusiastic about what it is they do. It's a contagious feeling and a nice break from corporate go-get'em attitudes or the me-first attitude in other fed agencies.

Cons

Peace Corps is a "boutique" agency in the U.S. federal government - very refined towards a mission that contribute little to other agencies and departments outside of it. The Peace Corps is separated from the State Department, but the politics of where Peace Corps will operate is about as complicated and policy-driven as anything could be in Washington. If you love politicking and glad-handing, Peace Corps HQ is an ideal place for you. This place is loaded with political appointees - the White House treats this place as the consolation prize for people that couldn't get elected into office or simply know somebody that knows somebody. A downside of a boutique agency is its subsequent tiny budget. This place is about as cheap as they come.

A downside is the five-year rule - the requirement that you must leave the agency after 5 years, and cannot return to the agency until another 5 years have elapsed. This is supposed to offer fresh thinking in the agency but all it does is contribute to brain drain and loss of institutional knowledge. Furthermore, I am convinced that employees here are chewed up and spit out, without much attention to professional growth and preparation to leave the agency, which everyone must do (except for those appointees!).

Advice to Management

Empower your employees, share information, allow for continuing education, let your staff travel overseas more often, allow for enhanced responsibility and upward mobility. Reward your staff with bonuses or time off awards so they understand the value of their contributions. Finally - enough with the speeches about how we'll do everything to support the volunteer. How about supporting your own staff, who you see and work with everyday? It sure seems like you'd move mountains for people you don't even know, but when we ask for a raise or to go travel, you act like we shot your dog.

2. "PC"

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Great international experience and lots of support.

Cons

Volunteer position, so low pay and