Peace Corps - Great experience | Glassdoor

"Great experience"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Peace Corps as an intern

Pros

travel, cultural immersion, free time

Cons

low pay, isolation, boredom, somewhat difficult living conditions

Advice to Management

re-evaluate living allownaces to keep up with rising cost of living

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. "It' not the Peace Corps. It's the TEACH ENGLISH OVERSEAS CAUSE YOU CAN'T GET A REAL JOB AT HOME CORPS!"

Former Employee - Youth Advisor in Baku (Azerbaijan)
    Former Employee - Youth Advisor in Baku (Azerbaijan)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Living in a country, learning a few critical languages, perfect if you've got a degree and can't find a job, great reason to travel. The glamor factor of the name because the outside world is clueless.

Cons

A written mission but ineffective when it comes to development work. We are NOT development workers. It's not all that it use to be. Forget using Peace Corps to get a decent job but looks great for graduate school. It's a shabby organization that has no clear direction. The sexual assault for women is outrageous and people come home with illnesses they can't get rid of. You often find yourself bored. Waste of time in hinde sight. Peace Corps has been around for 50+ years and are any countries that we serve in better? Think hard before you join. It's not all that is cracked up to be.

Advice to Management

Set clear cut goals. Slash the amount of time volunteers need to be in country. Put volunteers in a place where real impact can happen. I won't happen at the top up. Add nutritionist and psychiatrist to your medical staff.

2. "Life Changing Experience"

Current Employee - Teacher of English Language Fluency in Manila, Manila (Philippines)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Gain valuable work experience
    -Learn a new language
    -Explore and learn a new country intimately
    -Excellent medical care
    -Travel

Cons

-Low salary
    -Sometimes there is little support from Peace Corps staff. I was literally sent to my village with a host country national 10 hours north of the capital and expected to adjust to cultural norms with no oversight from Peace Corps whatsoever. (however, some may consider this as a pro)
    -Little to no project oversight from Peace Corps staff

Advice to Management

Become more involved with volunteers at their worksite (I understand this may vary from country to country)