Peace Corps - Strong, mission driven organization with passionate and motivated staff. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

"Strong, mission driven organization with passionate and motivated staff."

Pros

Co-workers at the Peace Corps have a strong sense of purpose (Peace Corps HQ). You can tell your work is doing good in the world and people are very friendly and welcoming.

Cons

The different departments in the Peace Corps could work better together. The five-year rule (most employees can only work five years at a time) has made it difficult to maintain as much institutional memory as other organizations.

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. "Utterly Lacking in Substance"

Former Intern - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Country Desk Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It paid $10/hour as a work-study job.

Cons

I gained no substantive experience whatsoever, and nobody had an interest in my development. All anyone wanted me for was gruntwork, and I was the most underutilized person in the office. I spent months asking for something real to do. They simply could never come up with anything. Their internship program is ill-managed, and led to wasted time for both parties. Also, I didn't know it at the time, but working for the Peace Corps disqualifies you from working for an intelligence agency for 4 years. This has now precluded me from interning with the CIA or DIA, and I was never made aware of this.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

2. "Loved it!"

Former Employee - Health Volunteer
    Former Employee - Health Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peace Corps was one of the best experiences I ever had and opened lots of opportunities into the international development world for me.

Cons

There's not a set assignment or structured work schedule, so volunteers often have to be flexible.

Advice to Management

Have some consistency in administration across country programs.