Peace Corps - Great experience, needs better infrastructure | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

"Great experience, needs better infrastructure"

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are lucky enough to be accepted into the Peace Corps you'll have the opportunity to travel the world, develop language and communication skills, own your own projects, be a leader and most likely have a great time!

Cons

I think most can imagine the cons of working in a developing country for 2 years... My overall criticism of the program, or the country program I was in was that the infrastructure was bad. Sometimes I was left on my own for months at a time with little support. The staff was unprofessional and the training sometimes lacked integrity.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified local staff.

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. "You get what you put into it..."

Former Contractor - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent
    Former Contractor - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The local community you'll live with while abroad
    - Independence
    - New experiences

Cons

- Bureaucracy
    - Paper pushing
    - Supervisors who think don't understand what it's like to live in an underdeveloped area- thus unrealistic expectations
    - It's an unspoken expectation that admin expects you to put your own (financial) resources into programming.

Advice to Management

- Need more support for volunteers on the ground and better record keeping (so don't just keep reinventing the wheel).
    - Healthcare!!! Make sure volunteers are taken care of after they leave country. Many volunteers come down with serious, and unexplained illnesses, and once their contract is over, Peace Corps now longer helps them.

2. "Former DPT overseas"

Former Employee - Director of Programming & Training (Department) in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best job within the government (granted, many jobs can't even compare) - and you are close to your 'beneficiaries' in the field. Programming & Training is the heart and soul of getting trainees ready for service, and in keeping them supported while they are PCVs. Very rewarding work.

Cons

PCHQ is a growing bureaucracy, and your work life will be increasingly affected by new rules and regs, more reports and changing initiatives. A lot also depends on your country director, as each has leeway to define the job and define the atmosphere at post.

Advice to Management

Keep growth of PCHQ in check. More money to support the field, not add new offices in Washington.