Peace Corps - Great way to meet people, but don't apply if you like to feel sorry for yourself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

"Great way to meet people, but don't apply if you like to feel sorry for yourself"

Former Employee - Education Volunteer (Mozambique) in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Education Volunteer (Mozambique) in Washington, DC

Pros

I met so many people while I was in Mozambique! I was like a celebrity. It was so great to understand what life is like for the majority of the people on it: baths out of buckets, rickety vibrant houses, and truly seasonal food selection. My host family was great. Once I got to site, I had some great opportunities to make a difference in my students' lives, because not all of them have anyone to look up to or maybe their parents don't hold them accountable for their actions, I could do that for them.
I went to the bank 3 hours from my site, but when I got there I got to spend a day in a town where any other American who was there probably spent
I got seemingly pretty advanced medical treatment for my knees, I was surprised that Peace Corps would pick up the tab for that but they did.

Cons

I say you shouldn't apply if you feel sorry for yourself because you need to be really optimistic while you're abroad, otherwise you might become a bitter volunteer, one of the people who is always complaining about your host country rather than forgiving it its faults and enjoying what it has to offer. The living allowance at training was plenty and would have been helpful if I'd saved some of it instead of spending it all on beer, the montly living allowance was not enough.
My kids were not as hungry for knowledge and a "better" life as I thought they would be. Expect to repeat the words "Open your notebooks" a lot.

Advice to Management

If you have to administratively separate someone, treat them with the respect and dignity that they deserve. Volunteers are giving two of the best years of their life to serve under you and deserve to be treated and considered as a respected employee even after the decision has been made to fire them.

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. "I got more out of the Peace Corps experience than I put in."

Former Employee - Community Economic Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Community Economic Developer in Washington, DC

Pros

It's a wondeful opportunity to use your imagination to create positive change in underserved areas.

Cons

Well it varies depending on which region you are assigned to but for me the isolation was the most difficult part of being a Peace Corps Volunteer. I was stationed in Azerbaijan but was unable to indicate that b/c this website doesn't give that as an option. They do have neighboring Armenia though which is smaller in most counts than Azerbaijan so I don't understand why it's not listed.

Advice to Management

Create a website for Peace Corps Volunteers to collaborate with each other instead of "reinventing the wheel" each time.

"Loving Peace Corps"

Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Chief in Washington, DC

Pros

Everyone knows the mission (support the Volunteers) and the three goals of Peace Corps and they aren't plastered on the walls. Little red tape (for government), freedom to do your job and make changes to improve it, a team feeling, a great place to work in terms of people, very warm, truly one of the 10 best places to work in DC as it was rated by Washingtonian Magazine. Never heard anyone say "that's not the way we do it here". An openness to new ideas, new technology, and new ways of doing things throughout Peace Corps. You can have as big an impact as you want.

Cons

The five year rule. Every employee gets a two and a half year tour and if you do a good job, you can get a second tour which takes you to five years and then everyone leaves. It makes institutional memory weak but it is also one of the things that keep people focused on what they want to accomplish before they leave Peace Corps.
    A lot of turnover due to the five year rule means that you're always meeting new people and saying good bye to colleagues.
    We just went through a budget cut but it was realtively easy and not ugly.

Advice to Management

None.