Peace Corps - Toughest job you'll ever love | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

"Toughest job you'll ever love"

Pros

Autonomy to explore any projects and careers that you want, learn language and culture, be able to work with local communities and share their culture.

Cons

Lots of alone time or time drinking coffee with your neighbors watching dust blow by.

Advice to Management

It would be great if training provided more skills in emotional intelligence skills or sessions in the soft skills... I also wish they spoke more about the political decisions of why some countries and sites are chosen.

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. "Life Changing"

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Everyone knows the pros of the Peace Corps. You get to travel to a foreign country for free and live like the locals. The experience is so much more than that, but you have to find out the pros for yourself.

Cons

Everyone has a different Peace Coprps experience. You go in understanding that you don't have a choice over where you serve, you just serve because that is what you want to do.

2. "Life-Altering Journey of Self-Discovery"

Pros

A wonderful experience, volunteering with the Peace Corps was the best job I've ever had. I discovered new things about myself, learned new languages and skills, and made friends for a lifetime. I ended up extending my service for an additional 13 months because I fell in love with my host country and fellow volunteers. There is ample opportunity to take your own unique approach to accomplishing programmatic objectives. However, I would recommend careful consideration of the sacrifices that volunteer life entails to anyone considering serving in the Peace Corps. It truly is the hardest job you will ever love but it is not for everybody.

Cons

The life of a volunteer can be incredibly physically and emotionally challenging. There are many barriers to success that require an extremely self-motivated personality to overcome.

Advice to Management

Improve PCMO, for the good of all.