Peace Corps - There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Peace Corps

"There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans."

Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser
Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

Cons

Other cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

Other Employee Reviews for Peace Corps

1. "Rewarding but challenging"

Former Employee - TEFL Volunteer
    Former Employee - TEFL Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to live abroad, they really take care of you, get to learn a new language, you'll always have a good story in future interviews.

Cons

You can get stuck in a bad situation. Peace Corps isn't very responsive to individual volunteers needs if their name is on the line.

Advice to Management

There should be better feedback mechanisms for discontent. I and other volunteers felt very shut out at time, especially with legitimate isses.

2. "Life changing"

Pros

The opportunity to take time out of your life to learn about others is phenomenal. We're there as ambassadors; learning about the people we're there for. The developing world is doing just that, developing.

Cons

The program itself is lacking; being there under the countries expectations is only appropriate if the country wants Peace Corps to develop and support. Not supplement what the country doesn't retain.

Advice to Management

Change the program already, JFK understood the importance of change.