Pearson - Not research based, don't really care about education and borrow from future revenue | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

"Not research based, don't really care about education and borrow from future revenue"

Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
Former Employee - Publisher's Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package and more privacy to do your job than in many industries.

Cons

They require lots of team selling and oversight for important sales. They take control of the sale out of the sales representatives hands yet hold the rep completely responsible for the results win or loose.They require you to sell products the customer doesn't want or need. They don't care about misrepresenting publication dates...they publish books a year in advance of the actual copyright date. In other words they will publish a book in 2011 with a 2012 or 2013 copyright. This is about borrowing sales revenue from the next year. It also means that sometime it's going to catch up with them and they are using a trick that is destroying our economy for short term fixes.

Advice to Management

If you are holding the local rep. responsible for the end result let them control the sale process. Too many managers don't know what is going on in departments yet they are making the decisions.

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

1. "Mindreader required to figure out what the grading points were."

Former Employee - Essay Grader in Rio Rancho, NM
    Former Employee - Essay Grader in Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work during the worst part of the recession. Gave some nice ice cream surprise parties during work. Management was never demeaning or overly critical.

Cons

Very hard to figure out what the requirements of grading really meant. Fact that it was temporary regardless of how well you did your job. I hate sitting for work.

2. "I worked in home scoring from first to 11th grade."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pearson part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is flexible in the hours work and the commitment to a project. The projects are usually interesting.

Cons

The projects don't offer as much intense work as I play for so sometimes I have taken off from another job and am left holding the bag.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the supervisor get a little maverick and don't act as expected.