Pearson - Great place | Glassdoor

"Great place"

Current Employee - Maintenance Specialest in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Maintenance Specialest in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relax, the have great benefits. Management works with you

Cons

The digital age will hurt my location but not the company. Wish the was a little more overtime straight 40 hours

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

"Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, competitive salaries, and great people.

Cons

I feel that leaders need to develop the vision for the enterprise and articulate it to the entire organization. To me. this creates a common purpose with everyone working toward a common goal. This is a trait that I fail to see in many of the leaders within the Pearson organization. A lot of the leaders are great people, but were either promoted to a leadership role because they worked for the organization for a long time or were a member of the Good Ole Boys Club. Sadly, this makes most of the leaders either hands on and never manage or lame ducks. Either way, leadership feels no existent.

Another con to NCS Pearson is their inability to standardize. There are a few decision makers within the organization that see a shiny new piece of technology and want to employ it. To be fair, they see this has a way to solve some of the issues that plague the organization. But, sadly, the problem is not really the technology. Most of the technology within the organization is "top shelf" technology. However, there are a selected bunch of individuals in that "Good Ole Boys Club" that are allowed to drive the design practices of the organization. These are intelligent people, but they are also stubborn and fail to adapt to the design practices used in newer technologies.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your leadership team and decide whether or not the people that hold such positions are the right fit for the job. You have some great and intelligent people, but many of the them lack the ability to lead. In fact, I know of a few that I would move to a more architecture type of role. Just because someone has worked for the organization for x years doesn't make them a good leader.

I would also suggest that a more active role being taking when allowing employees to drive the decisions. I love that employees are empowered, but when none of the employees agree on something leadership needs to take a more active stance on breaking the stalemate.

2. "I love this company"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, supportive and encouraging people, interesting work, commitments to both quality and ethics, fabulous work/life balance, understanding management, opportunities to stretch myself, supportive of continuing education and professional development

Cons

While open to change, change is slow, probably because this is a large company.