Pearson - Big company with opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

"Big company with opportunities"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Research Scientist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of resources and opportunities

Cons

Too big to initiate changes to meet the changing market

Advice to Management

na

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

"Always Learning"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pearson is dedicated to education and is an innovator in the industry

Cons

With size comes delay, there are processes and procedures that take too long

Advice to Management

Find ways to improve the financial aspects of sales management

"The Editorial Assistant position wouldn't be so bad if the salary wasn't so low and the expectations so unreasonable."

Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Upper Saddle River, NJ
    Current Employee - Editorial Assistant in Upper Saddle River, NJ

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities for a career...if you are interested in sales or don't care about significant salary advancement.
    - Generally lax and low stress work environment, depending on your position and department. Mine has not been.
    - Great benefits.

Cons

- The salary is pathetic - it is not competitive at all and it is not negotiable. This is frustrating, especially given the amount of responsibility that you can end up with (for example, my department started with 3 assistants. Two of them left but were never replaced so now I'm doing the work of all 3 but am actually making less than what I was making when I started due to the 2013 tax increases).

- No real job description - when I interviewed for and received the position, there was a clear job description outlining the position and what is expected of you. However, soon after starting, that was totally thrown out the window. I have actually been told be a superior that "your job is to do whatever I tell you to do". Usually not irregular or even something worth complaining about but given the low salary, lack of opportunities for advancement and the absence of overtime, it can become extremely frustrating and make you feel like a glorified intern.

- State of the company does not bode well for career opportunities - when I first started here, everyone made it seem like this was a career job, one that would lead to great opportunities within the company and ensure that I would be with Pearson for a very long time. But things have changed. The amount of open and available positions have decreased significantly and the CEO started talking layoffs at the latest state of the company meeting. Unless I decide to become a sales rep and move to the middle of nowhere, I'm practically stuck. Either that or I can hope for a semi-lateral move to another department that would increase my salary by a whole 2k a year. All the while, the higher ups are having meetings at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, or having corporate retreats in Bermuda. Not to mention those two assistant positions they never filled (why hire two new people when you can sucker one assistant to do the job of 3 for the price one 1?). Something doesn't add up.

Advice to Management

A COMPETITIVE SALARY IS A MUST! Given how expensive the cost of living is in this area and how taxing the commute can be to get up here (I currently drive 42 miles each way every day), there is no reason why the salary is barely 30k. Sadly, it seems like the company is taking advantage of the down economy, sticking to the attitude that "well, you're lucky to even HAVE a job".