Pearson - A | Glassdoor

"A"

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in New York, NY
Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy, fair, reasonable, good working environment. With divisions all over the world, the company has certain scale to dominate in text book publishing area.

Cons

Lack of top talent. Management always pushes for cost cutting. Although called itself as a technology company, a lot of work related to technology is outsourced. Emphasize too much on organization structures.

Advice to Management

Too much reorganization would hurt the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

"Lots of opportunity, challenges, and chances to grow."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've found my team at Pearson to be open to new ways of working. My experience is highly valued, despite it NOT being directly tied to my job description. I've been given opportunities to stretch my role in various areas and given the freedom to fail without fear of retribution.

Cons

A good bit of transition is underway for the company. That makes some employees nervous. The publishing industry is changing and adapting to new technology. Some teams will become obsolete. There can be some morale problems as people get nervous about the future. Management has done a satisfactory job of communicating about the changes. Could do better.

"I loved working at Pearson .. but it's a different company now ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intelligent, decent people. Treated its employees well and with respect. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Could be stressful and (very often) political. In the end, the company was *constantly* reorganizing. This made any kind of advancement almost impossible. Most people did what they did for years and only moved laterally.

Advice to Management

I understand the company is reorganizing, but I would like to point out that driving away good knowledgeable people costs you in productivity (and dollars) as you just have to go out and re-hire and train someone else (and then risk them not working out anyway) I feel like good people who were already employed and happy at the company were overlooked or sidelined by new management.