Pearson - Good company if money is all you care about. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

"Good company if money is all you care about."

Former Employee - Senior-Lead User Experience Designer in Chandler, AZ
Former Employee - Senior-Lead User Experience Designer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were great per the location of the job. I was fresh out of Graduate school so getting a job so quickly was very exciting. There are some talented people in this company, but they never get appreciated. There are some fun creative projects but they under-utilize top talent. I spent 4.5 years here building a skill-base that I ultimately took to start my own business. I had to push very hard to get any new learning experiences, and often sought them out on my own outside the company while I collected a salary.

Cons

An incredible amount of politics. Sadly, this is what keeps the company from being successful. They are stuck in archaic times in terms of technology and progress. The VP management are never in the office, and when they are they leave early thinking that the rest of us wont notice. If you are a forward thinker and love to innovate, then you probably don't want to work here. If you are looking for a cozier job to pay your mortgage, feed your kids and are happy with being stagnant, then this is the place for you.

Be ready for a "lemmings" mentality atmosphere, as nobody has any idea on what they are doing or how to remain competitive in today's market. Politics ultimately got in the way of my progress. I was leading a creative group and setup for a promotion and title change, which somehow got put off several times despite amazing reviews. This new role was ultimately given to someone half as qualified as I was and who I hired. Leadership made up some new title (no raise as promised weeks prior) for me thinking that was going to cover up the fact the old-boys network was at play.

Last but not least, should you be so unfortunate to have a death in the family (which I did) and should you need to use your paid and unpaid leave to take care of matters, then good luck. They make you feel like you have no right to use benefits that are yours by law. This was the last straw that resorted in me leaving after a long and challenging 4.5 years. I did try to make changes, but better to cut losses than to live in a stressful environment. I'm happy to say that in my company I don't treat my team this way!

Advice to Management

R-E-S-P-E-C-T employees and be honest. Upper management needs to put in hours too, instead of cutting out early every day. Discourage politics and "clicks". Need to improve culture before anything "cutting edge" will happen here.

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

"Culture shock"

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, good work-life balance. Good experience if you want to get familiar with traditional education models and policies.

Cons

The office culture is shocking. No one seems to talk to each other and therefore it feels that collaboration is lacking.

Advice to Management

I'd really advise that the organization works on improving the culture. People appear to be very resistant to change and not welcoming to new ideas and people. The products are unnecessarily complex and technologically dated that there is a power struggle among teams about who takes ownership. The on-boarding experience as far as getting setup is also lacking - no laptop available on the first day, no frills/perks for new hires, etc. The structure is very hierarchical and political - that needs to change.

"As they are a large company, don't expect to be known or appreciated."

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Pearson part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is fun to work with teachers and administrator to help them improve their student performance. You are always learning.

Cons

Most of your training will be on your own and compensation for this work is non-existent.
    Lower costs for travel.
    You will be a number, not really known or recognized. Mostly you will be told what you can't do.
    Follow through of management getting back to you doesn't happen.

Advice to Management

Know your employees. Treat them with kindness, honesty and fairness and you will see the rewards.