Pearson - Manager | Glassdoor

"Manager"

I worked at Pearson (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits were good.

Cons

Worst place I've ever worked in my entire career. I'm not a fan of social media, but I'm looking forward to companies like this one being put on blast in the coming future. Organizations need to stop treating employees like they are dispensable. Employees are also customers. And the horrible products they provide to schools and students that leave desperate educators and students unable to do their work is despicable. Yet they charge premium prices. If I ever decide to get another degree, my first question will be "Does Pearson run your online platform?" If they say yes, I will educate myself elsewhere. Ridiculous.

Also, the level of disrespect I experienced and watched between departments felt like a daily episode of the housewives of 'take your pick'. Man, I'm glad I left that place behind.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They do what they want and watch the place fall part. As long as their six figure checks are direct deposited, it's all good, right?

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

"Constant re-structuring, mediocre leaders."

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good, they do their best to be respectful to their employees - even on exit.

Cons

Many people that have been there forever and not kept current. Lots of bureaucracy, more than I have ever seen at any other company making it impossible to get work done. Duplication of effort runs rampant through the organization.

Advice to Management

Time to re-evaluate the current re-org, and take a close look at your senior leadership team - do they have the right skills to lead the company?

"Lofty ideals, lost in the translation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues tend to be bright, hardworking, and committed to the company mission. Mutual support is evident, unfortunately it has become more so under the strains of the last 18 months of upheaval.

Cons

Pearson is going through a rapid transformation that might not have been so painful if they had started a few years ago. ~ 10% of the company has been let go since the new CEO stepped in, with more to come. Revenues are in steep decline. Trust of management has eroded as those in the trenches watch colleagues be let go with seeming no rhyme nor reason, and more work heaped on those who are left.

Advice to Management

It may be too late.... many of those let go or who left in frustration were the heart and soul of the organization, who would have worked their tails off to help turn the organization around. Hope you don't live to regret it and wonder what the former CEO is thinking as she watches from the sidelines. Sad.