Pearson - The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pearson

"The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Upper Saddle River, NJ
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Upper Saddle River, NJ

Pros

Great flexibility in terms of being allowed to work from home, flexible hours, etc. They publish great products and are very well respected in the marketplace by both customers and competitors alike. They really do want to be innovate with new products and technology. My coworkers are great people who are passionate about what they do.

Cons

It takes forever to get anything done -- too much bureaucracy and too many priorities. No one seems to know who does what any more. I have coworkers all over the country and communication is very poor across groups in all areas. Senior management is very out of touch with morale issues and very focused on "the bottom line". We are short-staffed in all areas but the workload and expectations have increased exponentially. It's not a fun place to work any more.

Advice to Management

Take a look at our resources, staffing, workload, and expectations and staff up accordingly. Go out and talk to the "masses" -- not just the few hand-selected employees for meet and greets and get handle on what the culture is really like.

Other Employee Reviews for Pearson

"Not a bad place to work, but ultimately a disappointment."

Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits are very good, even excellent, and compensation is more than adequate. Some people are quite pleasant to work with. It is occasionally a very engaged and friendly group, or it can be if you find your people. If not, though, it can be isolating.

Cons

There is a lot of temporary employment, and it's tough to become permanent. Doing so does not seem to be related to job performance, sociability, reviews, workload, or what have you. I therefore now find myself out of work, despite going above and beyond at my job, and having good relationships with coworkers and managers.

Advice to Management

Value your people more than you currently do.

"A lot of room for improvement"

Former Employee - Senior Editor III in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Editor III in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits package, intelligent peers.

Cons

I worked for this company for many years, and a person's experiences there are directly related to the team he or she works on. I had a manager who was threatened by her employees that most of the competent people moved on. There was no oversight or accountability for this manager: she had free reign, and because she had never shared knowledge or developed her employees, there are no candidates who could readily replace her.

Advice to Management

Create avenues that would allow you to find out how the company really operates at the level of the producers. There was a lot of talent and productivity that was wasted in my department because employees were trapped under a bad manager.