Peet's - The Oldest Coffeebar Chain in the Country Needs Some Work | Glassdoor

"The Oldest Coffeebar Chain in the Country Needs Some Work"

Former Employee - Shift Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Peet's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Coffee, Half-Decent Tips, Flexible Scheduling

Cons

Unresponsive Management, Sub-Par Benefits, Corporate Dis-enfranchisement, Minimal Consistency,

Advice to Management

Peet's is going through a lot of changes, and the storefronts reflect it. As the company has expanded beyond its home turf in the California West Coast where they dominate the market, it's also very quickly fallen into a divide with a metric that focuses on California first and everything else second. I worked in the Chicago district. I was constantly frustrated as upper level management (district and regional levels) would constantly get reshuffled and replaced with little warning so expectations, missions, and goals were constantly changing. The amount of nepotism that runs rampant in Chicagoland stores is also enough to rival the nepotism that occurs in the Windy City's town hall. Individuals have been absolutely terminated and placed in positions they weren't in line for or simply not ready for solely based on who they kept in a close circle and who they kissed up to. Conversely this also means that any constructive criticism given by lower level employees to the regional and district management is largely ignored or used as leverage against employees when it comes to reviews or reputation. They make no effort in hiding who is a "problem" employee and gossip and rumors run rampant. During me tenure I worked under 5 separate store managers who were more often than not moved by the company rather than leaving; 4 separate district managers who all had different management styles and focus, making work often unpredictable and frustrating. Peet's has an aging customer base an they're desperately trying to appeal to younger consumers without much success. Their core business model needs to change entirely, as they've branded themselves and wholly accepted their status as a premium coffee brand, therefore excluding a lot of what makes coffeebars attractive to a younger audience. The company's approach may have worked for half a century, but it's far too conservative to make it stand out today.

Peet's2019-08-08
  1. "Fun Environment"

Former Contractor - Team Member in Oakland, CA

I worked at Peet's for less than a year

Pros

Not too stressful or difficult, the morning rush would be tough, but for the most part, work was enjoyable. I got to enjoy chatting with customers and making coffee.

Cons

Not many, waking up for the opening shift was difficult! The current manager was also having health issues at the time so schedules would come out late occasionally and I would sometimes be scheduled in times I was told I wouldn't be scheduled when I was hired.

Peet's2020-01-21
  2. "Great company, upper management not well organized"

Current Employee - Shift Lead

I have been working at Peet's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team. Every person I have ever worked with in their coffee shops has been amazing, kind and a truly hard worker.

Cons

Upper management in retail can be so disorganized that I have on a few occasions been offered promotions or transfers that are not actually available.

Peet's2020-01-25

Discover more reviews about Peet's.