Penguin Group - Home away from home | Glassdoor

"Home away from home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment for the most part, with friendly people and an overall pleasant atmosphere. Good job security and benefits (both health and access to books and discounts).

Cons

Not diverse at all in who works here or who we publish. Often get saddled with way more work than can be done in a day (for not the best pay). Some resistance to innovation/real creativity.

Other Employee Reviews for Penguin Group

1. "Great company, passionate people, lacking in some areas"

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Penguin Group full-time

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Incredibly talented people
    - Positive corporate culture
    - Employees are generally friendly, happy, intelligent, and motivated - a rare find

Cons

- Compensation is beyond minimal. No one in publishing expects to make the big bucks, but it is rather deflating to work for such a revered publisher and not be able to afford the city it is based out of.
    - The internal infrastructure and promotion structure is flawed. Penguin is not good at appreciating talent and promoting or giving money to keep good employees around. Promotions are few and far between. Unfortunately several colleagues (who were genuinely talented individuals) have had to move out to move up.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the talent you have - work to keep employees around who work just as hard for you every day.

2. "Great company, decent internship"

Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Penguin Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Well, it pays, unlike most internships in the publishing world and elsewhere, though the pay is still low. My coworkers were friendly and eager to help, and there was a nice mix of boring clerical work and stuff that was actually challenging and rewarding. For someone looking to become an editor, it's hard to think of a better place to start.

Cons

You will have to do a lot of work at home, especially any reading you're assigned. This doesn't sound bad at first, until you realize that a future at this company means almost never getting to read books of your own choosing. Sometimes the people seem TOO friendly -- it was hard for me to tell how well I was really doing, or what I could do better. In the end, I didn't want to work in publishing, so it wasn't the job for me.

Advice to Management

There seemed to be a serious absence of ethnic and cultural diversity at Penguin -- at least for any floor above the mail room.