Penhall - A Once Proud Company Sinking into Mediocrity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Penhall

"A Once Proud Company Sinking into Mediocrity"

Current Employee - Division Manager
Current Employee - Division Manager

Pros

Excellent Peer Group - Supportive
Good mobility if you desire relocation
Broad footprint
Market leader in terms of size

Cons

Senior leadership focused on cashing out
Minion management
Zero professional development/management mentor

Advice to Management

Zoom out and refocus beyond the next transaction and run the company with a purpose.

Other Employee Reviews for Penhall

1. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Account Payable Supervisor
    Former Employee - Account Payable Supervisor

I worked at Penhall full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No need to wear formal attire, very casual even in the office (accounting/finance)

Cons

Low pay rate, no raise for many years

Advice to Management

Should keep your talents by keeping up with current fair market compensation and treat your tenure employees better.

2. "Very Negative Work Experience"

Current Employee - GPR Analyst
    Current Employee - GPR Analyst

I have been working at Penhall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I enjoyed working alongside the employees at my local branch. Everyone there was friendly and supportive. (As a GPR Analyst, you work out of a local branch but are technically an employee of Penhall Technologies, which is based in L.A.)
    - If you enjoy traveling for work, there is ample opportunity to do so.
    - Although benefits are not the best, the salary is very good, particularly if your highest level of education is a high school diploma, or you are a recent college graduate

Cons

Since I began working for Penhall Technologies, there were some initial red flags. Being new to the business, I kept optimistic, hoping that circumstances would change in time and that if I worked hard enough, everything would work itself out. However, after a few months as a GPR Analyst, it became clear that I had found myself working for a company that neither values its employees, nor executes practical business strategies. The following statements come from the perspective of someone who a) takes pride in my work, b) is always looking for opportunities to grow and learn, and c) expects to be treated with respect by my employer.

- During the interview process for the position, the hiring manager was dishonest. I was practically guaranteed bonus pay of 10-15k annually, and was also told that the work week was 40 hours and occasionally a few hours over. In my experience, I have made approximately 20% of the bonus pay, and rarely work the typical 8 hour day. 10-12 hour days are not uncommon, and unless you work something like 60 hours in a week, you are not given any compensation for your time.

- It is very difficult to maintain a personal life while working here. It is hard to gauge when the workday will be finished, and on numerous occasions I have been asked to travel out of state same day after already working a full 8 hours.

- There is very minimal opportunity to accelerate your career here. While there is a small chance that you may be promoted to a field supervisor, for example, it is few and far between. Even if you are not seeking a higher position, there is no growth in the GPR Analyst position. Once you have completed your initial training, you stop learning new skills. This is can be very disheartening, particularly because Penhall Technologies seeks candidates with degrees, yet offers very little room to move up the ladder or at least develop more technical skills.

- The training process left me unprepared for GPR work. I was trained by an employee who had just completed their training, and not by an expert in the field. Once I was scanning on my own, 25% of my work was a guess. The company relishes in the fact that it provides each employee with 8 weeks of training, yet the 8 weeks consists of quantity over quality. For the majority of my training, all that I did was watch someone else scan. This is majorly concerning to me, as my lack of confidence increases risks for those who are coring or digging and one of Penhall Technologies' major selling points is to reduce safety hazards. (As far as I know, there have been changes made in the training process recently, but I do not know how effective they are)

- I have had to cover for another office for extended periods of time (6 months +) despite management having plenty of time to find a replacement for the other office. This led to many long days of travel and overnight stays, and also had a negative impact on my local branch who was not able to schedule me for work when I was out of town. The branch I covered for also lost a large amount of revenue, as they did not have their own scanner to complete all of their region's work. In the long run, I got burned out very quickly and was not given any relief.

- When you are not scanning for a client, you must assist with sales and comply with a business development strategy created by the marketing team. In my experiences, the strategies have been ineffective. In addition, the marketing team attempts to motivate you to make sales by the promise of bonus pay when, in reality, if you have enough time to sell scanning, then you are not completing enough production hours to actually obtain bonus pay. Essentially, you are forced to do sales for no commission.

- While the salesmen at my local branch were hard working and did their best, they did not receive proper training or support from Penhall Technologies. For their training, they spend weeks learning how to sell concrete cutting, but for scanning, the local GPR Analyst gives them a 20 minute powerpoint presentation made by management. There were many jobs where I showed up but could not complete due to GPR technology limitations and the lack of knowledge that the salesmen had about scanning before making a sale.

- I did bring up my concerns to my manager, and no changes have been made.

Advice to Management

Having spoken with other GPR Analysts, I know that I am not in the minority. If you want to keep the employees who are willing and capable of making a difference within the company, you must treat them better. You have educated and disciplined workers, yet do not take the time to offer more advanced skills and techniques,you dismiss any ideas or concerns, and you offer no monetary or educational incentive to stay with the company. Treat your employees with more respect, realize that they have personal responsibilities and a personal life, offer them more challenges and more training, and you will have happier workers. Happier workers = happier customers.