Pentaho - High Energy, pre-IPO company, great benefits, and interesting technology platform | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Pentaho

"High Energy, pre-IPO company, great benefits, and interesting technology platform"

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Take good care of employee's, work hard, play hard - 3 week sprint cycles (Agile/Scrum) and lot's of different technology integration.

Cons

Culture may not be a match for some people not into team drinking (full stocked bar). Still a young crowd in an open space floor plan (very noisy and distracting).

Other Employee Reviews for Pentaho

"Nice try but not going anywhere"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the size and unique atmosphere. There are some wonderful people at this company. The benefits and work environment are second to none. The founders are excellent people and the engineers are a joy to work with and extremely intelligent. I enjoyed going to work here every day until politics and drama got in the way. Sales execs are more concerned with a CYA approach to metrics than they are in actually cornering the market by developing a dominating approach to winning business.

Cons

The product may be a winner but the reason the company is not growing at the rate it should is because the marketing department runs a good portion of the sales team. They are learning on the fly. The result? An eroding business plan with unrealistic expectations, they have succeeded in corrupting an environment that was once a great place to work. The entire team lacks communication, focus and discipline. The marketing team exhausts the sales team by asking for their opinions and then paralyzing them in group thought exercises. This brainstorming hell goes on for hours each week...with very little change taking place. I found myself singing Kumbiyah to appease the top brass rather than focusing on my job of selling a brand. There is a constant turnover on the sales side of the organization and they are burning through good people fast.

Advice to Management

Get your sales reps out in the field. Force reps to do outbound prospecting, they are spoiled and rely entirely on what falls into their lap. Set metrics for a minimum amount of demos each month rather than accepted opportunities. Do you see how this caters to them accepted opportunities caters to their metrics? It has no defining qualities...Hire more sales engineers and start training people from the inside rather than looking elsewhere constantly. Pull the fire alarm and acquire visualizations out of the box to compete with tableau, jasper and good data. The market is becoming more competitive each day.

"Could Have Potential"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pentaho full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helpful coworkers to help you learn. People at your level in different areas are good people.

Cons

People are unhappy in every position. People don't tend to stay long. Many good people leave.

Advice to Management

Focus on current employee base so people don't keep leaving due to discontent

Pentaho Response

Feb 24, 2014 – Human Resources

Thanks for your honest feedback here. I’m happy to hear that you find coworkers to be helpful and welcome you to reach out to me to discuss your thoughts in detail. We’re always striving to make ... More