Penton - Management deserves the help it gets | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Penton

"Management deserves the help it gets"

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, great people working in the brands, interesting work.

Cons

I’ve enjoyed working in an a-hole-free zone for many years but, unfortunately, that changed when the company brought in another layer of management between my old boss and me. If this guy were here to offer advice, guidance, best practices and new ideas, then that would be great. But to report to this dude? He’s completely ignorant of our brands, our markets, our business model, the issues, our readers and our customers, but he’s determined to throw his weight around and be the big boss. And it’s not just me. He also has supervisory responsibilities over other markets about which he is equally clueless. He doesn’t know our most significant readers and customers from Adam’s off ox, and vice versa. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he does something out of ignorance that pisses somebody off threatens revenues. I’ve complained to my old boss and he said that, for now, I will have to put up with this guy because upper management believes he’ll lead them to the Promised Land. It’s sad. I really loved this job. After all the years that I’ve been here, I’m now actively looking for another job.

Advice to Management

You wouldn't have to offer a $1,250 bounty for recruiting new employees if you treated your current employees better.

Other Employee Reviews for Penton

"Sweatshop for editors"

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton (More than 8 years)

Pros

New president Kieselsten is a refreshing change from past presidents; more strategic, human and big-picture.

Cons

The workload for editors is crushing and totally overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Touch base with the creatives who produce the product. It seems to me that upper management's bonuses seriously compromise the quality of the information produced and is morally untenable in terms of employee health and lifestyle metrics.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013 – Chief Talent Officer

We appreciate your post.

Penton is committed to fostering an environment that’s engaging and pleasant for it’s employees. We value the work that all of our employees deliver. We appreciate all... More

"Typical Company"

Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, the people who work at Penton are friendly. Additionally, Penton has a nice holiday schedule - nearly every national holiday and early release on the day before a holiday.

Cons

Top management has changed frequently over the past few years, which is a positive if you don't care for a particular CEO/CFO/etc....just wait a year or two and there will be a new one. Unfortunately, this takes away from the overall long term vision of the company since every leader has a different idea as to what direction to take Penton in. Additionally, it seems as though every change in management brings the loss of a perk previously enjoyed by employees. Finally, there is no 401k match, which is a definite downside.

Advice to Management

Open communication. David Kieselstein has done a wonderful job at keep employees informed on major changes; however, middle management still needs to open communication lines. Possibly it's the nature of the beast, but no matter how many training courses you provide to middle management, it seems like nothing changes in the way that they interact with their direct reports.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for your post.

The senior management at Penton are diligently working to fostering a transparent environment that’s pleasant for its employees. We strive for the company to be a... More