Penton - Enjoy the work and the people I work with and feel appreciated | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Penton

"Enjoy the work and the people I work with and feel appreciated"

Current Employee - Accountant
Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Although there is still room for improvement, good communication is a goal within departments and within the company, and everyone is encouraged to share ideas to improve the business and the work environment.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited in some departments. At times lack of cooperation between offices of the company can make work more difficult than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Increased flexibility in the work environment and the work schedule might increase both creativity and employee satisfaction.

Other Employee Reviews for Penton

"Management deserves the help it gets"

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, great people working in the brands, interesting work.

Cons

I’ve enjoyed working in an a-hole-free zone for many years but, unfortunately, that changed when the company brought in another layer of management between my old boss and me. If this guy were here to offer advice, guidance, best practices and new ideas, then that would be great. But to report to this dude? He’s completely ignorant of our brands, our markets, our business model, the issues, our readers and our customers, but he’s determined to throw his weight around and be the big boss. And it’s not just me. He also has supervisory responsibilities over other markets about which he is equally clueless. He doesn’t know our most significant readers and customers from Adam’s off ox, and vice versa. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before he does something out of ignorance that pisses somebody off threatens revenues. I’ve complained to my old boss and he said that, for now, I will have to put up with this guy because upper management believes he’ll lead them to the Promised Land. It’s sad. I really loved this job. After all the years that I’ve been here, I’m now actively looking for another job.

Advice to Management

You wouldn't have to offer a $1,250 bounty for recruiting new employees if you treated your current employees better.

"Sweatshop for editors"

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Penton (More than 8 years)

Pros

New president Kieselsten is a refreshing change from past presidents; more strategic, human and big-picture.

Cons

The workload for editors is crushing and totally overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Touch base with the creatives who produce the product. It seems to me that upper management's bonuses seriously compromise the quality of the information produced and is morally untenable in terms of employee health and lifestyle metrics.

Penton Response

Nov 6, 2013 – Chief Talent Officer

We appreciate your post. Penton is committed to fostering an environment that’s engaging and pleasant for it’s employees. We value the work that all of our employees deliver. We appreciate all ... More