Penton - Decent company, bad pay, great people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Penton

"Decent company, bad pay, great people"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Penton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the people. Our company under Penton had a very laid back culture with dogs in the office.

Cons

low pay, large workload, burn and churn mentality. "We're investing in talent" never hit the middle management

Advice to Management

pay competitively.

Apr 25, 2014 – Chief Talent Officer

Penton is committed to fostering an environment that’s pleasant for it’s employees. We value the work that all of our employees deliver we have rolled out a number of new training programs, profit... More

Other Employee Reviews for Penton

"Very depressing, Bush League atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Penton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I seriously can't think of many pros. Paychecks usually arrived on time, I suppose.

Cons

Where to begin?

Most people there are old ladies who have no idea what they're doing. This place is all about cronyism -- the old ladies in middle management try to cover up their and their friends' total incompetence, and then they try to blame the younger people for their mess-ups. It'd be laughable if it weren't so infuriating.

The benefits are awful -- they don't even contribute to a 401(k) and the insurance is average at best -- and they wonder why people don't stay for long. This place is seriously just a port in the storm until people find something better...which is just about anything. They don't even offer free soda or snacks: They got a "healthier" vending machine that was absolutely ridiculous -- it was the same, unhealthy crap except is was more expensive and ALWAYS disgusting. The office just has a VERY depressing feeling: It was like working in a non-descript dentist's office...no decorations or anything with personality.

Advice to Management

Get rid of EVERYONE and start over. Employees in the Overland Park office literally just work hard enough not to get fired and they have ZERO interest in learning new things or in the advancement of the company or even themselves.

Apr 25, 2014 – Chief Talent Officer

We have recently rolled out a profit program for employees. We are in line with mid-tier companies on our benefit costs, which we continuously evaluate. Our HR team constantly evaluates market pay... More

"No Leadership Whatsoever."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Penton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in Boulder on Pearl Street

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. Once employees are paid over a certain amount, they are let go. All except for a few top executives in Boulder who turn a blind eye towards nepotism and sexual harassment ("blind eye" is an understatement btw). Not what you'd expect from the natural products industry in Boulder. Very sad actually.

Advice to Management

Leave. You are no asset to this company.

Apr 25, 2014 – Chief Talent Officer

We have promoted a number of internal people this quarter and continue to focus on advancing from within. We have rolled out four extensive training programs that impact all of the company.

Our... More