Penton - Penton salaries | Glassdoor

"Penton salaries"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, above the industry average

Cons

Not many support sysyems available

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward

Penton Response

Jun 17, 2014 – Chief Talent Officer

We are always open to hearing any suggestions you may have regarding expanding the company’s support systems. Please do contact HR with any ideas. Depending on your needs, you can always approach ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Penton

1. "Interesting"

I worked at Penton full-time

Pros

Able to work remotely from home.

Cons

Communications lack in several areas.

"Employee counterparts are not held to the same standard"

Current Employee - Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Penton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The PTO is great. Some managers are very respectful of employee's personal lives and obligations. The medical insurance is not bad. Casual work environment, small perks.

Cons

The CEO is not interested in hiring from within. He does not trust his own workforce or management team, and is continually trying to recruit his own friends to join his team. He has a terrible reputation among his previous company/employees and I do not have faith in his decisions. He is self-serving, seems to be setting up the brands to sell out, and move on to the next CEO gig. We won't be sad to see him go. His goals are not long-term, but short-term to make himself look marketable.

As a result of his new regime, managers are unclear on their own goals and cannot adequately communicate the direction of the company, let alone the brands. There is no common goal or mission we are all trying accomplish, because brands are pitted against each other for resources. The highest grossing products are subsidizing the low-performing products.

Promotions are few and far between. Many high-performing, "valuable" employees are paid in "atta-boys," rather than promoted. Employees are told not to set high expectations for career advancement within the company because they will be disappointed. Those who take initiative are met with higher expectations of their performance and outcomes; those who slack off are not held to the same standards but enjoy the same compensation and appreciation.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with goals and compensation. Hold everyone to the same standard, offer assistance to those who struggle in their role, or let them go. Lazy management affects morale, and makes people not want to work here. Why work as hard when my counterpart does not, and we're evaluated as equals?

Penton Response

Apr 25, 2014 – Chief Talent Officer

We appreciate your response. Transitioning a company is challenging. However, Penton's senior management are working diligently to grow the company. Our goal is to create an environment where all ... More