People's United Bank - Great place to learn the biz!!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for People's United Bank

"Great place to learn the biz!!!!"

Former Employee - Financial Service Manager in Bridgeport, CT
Former Employee - Financial Service Manager in Bridgeport, CT

Pros

People's was a great place for me to develop myself and build a career. Though I have since left, I miss the meetings in Bridgeport Center and the comradery among the branch managers. I started as a teller and worked my way to branch manager by being selected to enter into the management trainee program. I would suggest to anyone looking at a career in banking to look into People's Management Trainee Program. The things that I learned in the program have truly helped me have a successful career. The bank knows how to recognize it's performers which really encourages you to strive for excellence.

Cons

People's pay for performance program could surely be a benefit but the base salary for branch manager isn't up to par. Many people use the bank for training and continue their career else where.

Advice to Management

All and all, I loved my job as a branch manager. I would recomend to the senior management to try harder to retain top talent. I have seen many promotions given based on seniority not merritt.

Other Employee Reviews for People's United Bank

1. "A Happy People's Person"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

There is a genuine feeling of community. Ultimately the entire organization has the right motives. The bank cares about the customers as well as the employees. They look to differentiate themselves in the market through their recognition program and support of community involvement.

Cons

The minimal negatives are the compensation packages. They are slightly below comparable institutions. Also it can be slightly difficult to transition out of regional banking into another area i.e. finance or operations. Clearly the bank's greatest need for employees is in the branches.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within. Don't lose focus on the community bank's values. Customers enjoy the specialized service and the personal touches. The employees need to continue to be empowered to make decisions.

"Jumping Ship"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at People's United Bank full-time

Pros

You will get paid bi-weekly.

Cons

Where to begin? HR is nonexistent. Management in Vermont is unprepared for 21st century banking, and generally plays favorites by promoting people regardless of talent and skill. I have 20 years experience in the industry. This is the most abusive and demoralizing structure I've ever worked in. The sales goals are reasonable and people work hard to achieve them but then the results mean nothing but dollars and cents in your pay. The bank has very smart people in the field. But back to HR and management. When you disagree with senior management about anything, they WILL retaliate. When you see good people pushed to tears or quitting, people who have given it their all, you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the top. In our area, the bank went through a merger, but you would think the bank employees survived a war by the way they constantly complain about change. Some people have worked here WAY too long and need to go. Turnover comes from leadership at the top. I've heard long-time senior managers gossip about employees like high schoolers. It's disgusting. I've heard racist or hateful remarks from colleagues regularly. After personally addressing the behaviors, I was told to bite my tongue. I have consoled people more times than I care to, only to see the situations get worse and good employees end up quitting. Now I'm leaving and never looking back. Hire leadership with real world experience from another industry leader. Hire management with a proven track record. The current management takes way too much credit without recognizing the efforts of everyone who achieved success. Take a good hard look at who really cares about the future of People's and who just plays lip service and takes their checks.