PerkinElmer - PerkinElmer is a good company that could be better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PerkinElmer

"PerkinElmer is a good company that could be better"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is strong in several areas of Environment and Health
They have a wide portfolio spanning a broad set of sectors in both areas
OneSource is innovative and a potential asset

Cons

Salaries are low in general, especially in the Boston area
Very much focused on the bottom line
Reactive to quarterly performance
You have to wonder if they are spread too thin across somewhat disparate areas and seeing limited synergies across sectors. would a break up (as suggested by several analysts) make more sense at this time?

Advice to Management

Set the vision and don't let the last quarter cause reflexive reaction
Rewarding staff success needs to become a higher priority and better funded

Other Employee Reviews for PerkinElmer

"I did everything and was paid nothing"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Shelton, CT

I worked at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

18 PTO days to start vested from day one.

Cons

Health insurance stunk, I paid almost 1000 a month for my family of 3 for medical vision and dental. Company reoganized every 6 months, so mangement was constantly changing. They threaten moving several times over the last 10 years, it seems they are going to be moving out of Shelton location in the next 14 months when the lease is up. Raises came once a year in April and they were average of 3-5 percent. When moving up within the company they hold you at caps normally 5-10% and you will still be under market min. HR STINKS! They are called the revolving door, no one ever stays long enough to be of any help.

Advice to Management

Get it together, stop lay offs in the start of the 4th quarter because you had a bad Q3 and you want to fudge the EOY results.

"What a demoralizing career experience"

I have been working at PerkinElmer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very talented, hardworking employees at PerkinElmer. I have learned much from our senior, non-managerial staff, that has greatly enhanced my knowledge in the industry. Other than individual contributors (which are either being terminated or running for the hills), there is not a positive attribute to the “company” in general.

Cons

Where should I start?

An environment of blind obedience and mind numbing incompetence is the best way to describe the “leadership” of this organization. From the bottom to the top, no need to apply if you have the desire to make a marked improvement to the organization or have the ability to have a logical thought.

From the field to the offices in Shelton, the work culture is toxic. Between the backdrop of constant layoff, managers trying to cover their own back by blaming the working minions for their poor decisions, questionable ethnics, and the lowest quality products in the industry—You have a workforce that’s only goal is to find a better career.

Sorry to be negative, I wish someone would have painted this picture for me 5 years ago before I left an industry leader to join the ranks at this “dog and pony show”. It has gotten so bad at this organization there have been days I just cannot make myself come to work: I got to the office, pulled in, sat in my car: watched others walk in with heads down, looks of misery on their faces, and just called in a PTO day.

Advice to Management

**what is the point**