Perkins Coie - Good to start your career in Seattle | Glassdoor

"Good to start your career in Seattle"

Former Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well connected, large firm with reputable name so it sets you up for the future. Despite the Cons below, this firm set me up for my future career - but those 6 years were hard earned and at great expense.

Cons

As a minority, female associate, don't count on significant or any mentorship opportunities (definitely no sponsorship opportunities). It still is very much a white organization, with good intentions (they're good at marketing diversity), but no real institutional follow through. If you start here from law school, unless you find a willing sponsor partner, don't count on making partner - they typically bring in associates from the East coast that have been trained by their respective firms. This is practice specific but I do think this is consistent for people of color. My photo/name was typically used on pitches, but I was NEVER brought to pitches (therefore, no partnership development) - I only found out after I left that younger white male associates were being brought to pitches. White associates were typically invited to partners homes for dinner etc., but women (especially single women) seldom got the same. Among the rank, the good news is most of the women, and people of color do talk and there is a strong sub-network (so I was able to leave with their help). But partnership for people of color typically is a mirage (just look at the partnership ranks). Note I don't think this is specific to this firm - it is a major big law problem. Just don't buy the hype on their diversity scores (non timekeepers are typically treated better).

Advice to Management

Stop putting diversity efforts on the shoulders of people (women mostly) of color - if they are pressured to bill, they can't also be helping your firm become better with diversity. White allies are real. Also, be honest with the likelihood of associates to be advanced if they don't have sponsorship from partners. Help them earlier to leave the firm.

Perkins Coie2019-12-05
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

West Coast vibe; Genuinely cares about its employees; Making headway in diversity.

Cons

Still a way to go with diversity.

Perkins Coie2019-11-08
  2. "Great Attorneys and Staff"

Current Employee - Legal Practice Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Perkins Coie full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoy working with the attorneys and the professional staff. In-house trying is available for staff.

Cons

Management does not always relate to the actual work being done by the timekeepers and how they need to be supported.

Advice to Management

Listen to the timekeepers and staff more. Adding more administrative positions does not help the timekeepers get their work done.

Perkins Coie2019-11-25

Discover more reviews about Perkins Coie.