Perkins Restaurant and Bakery - Good for a first job, but not something I wanted to stick around for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

"Good for a first job, but not something I wanted to stick around for"

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started out as a hostess at Perkins as my first job. It was rough, as I was not used to the hustle and bustle of busy Sunday mornings, but once I got the hang of it, I learned how to multitask and think on my feet, skills that I first practiced in this job. There is some career advancement depending on your location; I became a server about a year after I first got my hostessing job. I was fortunate that I had some great supervisors who were willing to work around schedules and let me go home if I was waiting on one final table for the night to finally leave.

Cons

Working at Perkins became more frustrating when we changed general managers. Our new GM often did not understand what was going on. And while many servers did have the tendency to call out last-minute, he misdirected his frustration at me one morning when I caught a stomach bug and had to call out of work for the day. Our store was also quite dirty.

Advice to Management

Listen to servers and hosts/hostesses who are dissatisfied and give them ways to feel like they're valued.

Other Employee Reviews for Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

1. "Last resort."

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can really make a lot of money, the menu is pretty easy to memorize

Cons

I worked at 2 different Perkins. The first one was amazing, and I raved to everyone about how much I loved my job. When I moved for school I transferred Perkins, and it has been a horror to work there. Always understaffed, management is very unhelpful and often just rude. Working in unsafe environment. (there was once a sewage backup in the back of house, and the entire floor was covered in an half inch of sewage. Restaurant stayed open.) And working with a cook who was constantly tweaking on meth, who they wouldn't fire because they didn't want to look for a new over-night cook. It is just a ridiculous place to work, they had no pride in their jobs.

2. "Ugh"

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time

Pros

You get to figure things out for yourself, lots of hands on learning

Cons

training and development is a joke