Perry Ellis International - It's a good first job and it pays more than minimum | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Perry Ellis International

"It's a good first job and it pays more than minimum"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX

Pros

fairly laid back
great customer service
pleasant atmosphere
small staff
work well with school schedule
knowledgeable management
supervisors are very approachable

Cons

small staff = less flexibility
no job training
expected to be knowledgeable about inventory with out having prior instruction
inconsistent procedures from supervisor to supervisor
sick days are not allowed

Advice to Management

Please offer some formal job training. I had to flounder quite a bit before I was able to get the hang of the job.

Other Employee Reviews for Perry Ellis International

"Learning experience"

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

The corporate office in Miami has a laid back corporate culture. Because the corp office is relatively small, there is a lot of cross functional participation in meetings, projects, etc. Opportunity to implement solutions and best practices. Overall, management is focused on driving sales. The CEO personally met with my entire team, from the division president down to the assistants every quarter.

Cons

The biggest con is the salary below the director level. I had to take a 20% pay cut upon being hired with a promise that I would be moved into a higher level position to get back to my previous salary, even though I held the same position at my previous company. The turnover at PE is ridiculous, which I accredit to the terrible salary and the poor quality of many directors and VPs. Mgmt tends to lack leadership, although there are few bright spots. Employees are treated like children, emails sent out by HR explaining that employees are arriving to work too late (even though directors and VPs arrive to work as late as 10:30) and that the cafeteria is closed after 3pm because of employees taking long breaks. Clockwatching amongst managers is ridiculous. Half the parking lot is "reserved." There is even a parking spot for "board of directors." Lots of weird policies and procedures, especially regarding technology and travel.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing leadership and management of directors and above, equitable pay in relationship to other companies, focus on hiring good people...stop hiring family friends...they will run your business into the ground. 360 feedback in reviews...you'll be surprised at what you find out about your people if reviews were from subordiates, colleagues and superiors.

2. "apply for a job asap!"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

I love the corporate culture!

Cons

offices are depressing and small.

Advice to Management

keep it up!