Pet Supermarket - not bad | Glassdoor

"not bad"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne, FL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

assistant managers are salaried. You are scheduled 45 hrs and they close at 9pm. Customers are nicer than most other retailers customers.
there is a bonus potential every month.

Cons

very physical job. You have to rotate product due to expiration dates. Pay lower than many retailers.. The associates are paid minimum wage and you get what you pay for.

Other Employee Reviews for Pet Supermarket

"I am disappointed in the overall management at Petsupermarket."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Pet Supermarket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with and around the animals. I get to see a lot of different dog breeds that customers bring into the store. I get to work with and learn about a lot of different animals. It's a casual work atmosphere. The job itself is extremely simple.

Cons

Starting pay is minimum wage and performance reviews are designed to limit pay increases. Even if an employee excels in one or more specific areas the store manager is not permitted to give an excellent rating because excellent ratings mean larger pay increases, explanation being "the employee will think they have no room for improvement". There is blatant petty personal discrimination from store and regional levels of management. In the particular district where I am employed the district manager blackballs employees from promotion and/or pay increase if they aren't part of her personal circle of friends, regardless of length of employment, skill, higher education or experience. Conversely, people within her personal circle with no skill, no experience, no education have been promoted rapidly. I've witnessed sexual harassment and seen the perpetrator simply moved to at least two other locations and eventually made store manager. I've seen valid complaints against management buried and swept under the rug and heard the words "if you pursue a complaint against a manager the manager will always win" on a number of occasions. They work employees full time hours but refuse to give full time status to avoid paying benefits and paid time off, which accumulates according to status and number of hours worked weekly.

Advice to Management

Implement equal treatment and application of company policy toward employees. Reward quality performance. Implement some checks and balance at various levels of management. Approve necessities to properly care for all animals, not a list generated from someone at a corporate desk who is not hands on.

2. "Fun, great customers, management was great for its time."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boynton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Boynton Beach, FL

I worked at Pet Supermarket part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at my local Pet Supermarket for a year and a half, and loved working there. Management was amazing and I made some good friends along the way. It was a great place to start a beginning job.

Cons

Management does not listen to employees, just the managers of the stores. This can sometimes be bothersome. Increase in pay is bad. I was working there for a good, long time and pay was still too minimal.

Advice to Management

Listen to all your employees, because without them, you wouldn't have such a good company. Have a better pay increase.