PetSmart - Really enjoyed this job! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

"Really enjoyed this job!"

Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Colorado Springs, CO
Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

- Very customer focused
- gave a lot of money to charity
- treat the animals with respect
- coworkers are usually animal people

Cons

- Retail - always sales focused
- Get some lazy people - nature of the business
- Expect a lot for a little pay

Advice to Management

Stop gossip before it happens.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Petsmart is a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

You can have a Pet at work.
    You can bring your dog to work on fridays.
    People are nice.
    new building

Cons

Recession there were layoffs back in 2005.

Advice to Management

Offer more training.

2. "It was good and bad"

Former Employee - Bather in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Bather in Warminster, PA

Pros

Working at PetSmart was great in the aspect that it allowed me to be around pet lovers and people enthusiastic about animals such as myself. I felt like management listened as much as a large company could. I made friends there and didn't mind coming to work everyday.

Cons

The only cons were
    Most importantly, the hazards that accompany one working with animals, especially dogs. Unless one does this job they probably can't foresee all the physical problems. There was the daily leaving work with hairs in my eyes, nose, mouth, and hair splinters in my fingers/arms as well as feet being wet all day peeling a lot and having a nose stuffed from trying to block out smells. There's also dogs menstruating on your table and pooping and peeing around and on you. Getting dirty and smelly was fine to me and acceptable, but the common occurrence of leaving work with scratches and cuts and wounds from wrestling upset dogs all day was what led to my resignation. I was afraid of getting seriously wounded or spraining something. I just wrote the other parts to help someone who's considering being a bather to think about some perhaps unconsidered side effects.

The only other con was the closed off nature of the salon. It was practically its own store and so segregated from the main store it developed a culture of its own which was inherently hierarchical and cliquey in nature. What I discovered there was that the Groomers were the ones in control there and Bathers were to do their jobs and help the groomers do their jobs. You have social situations at every job but just look out for this set up and don't do anything to make the groomers dislike you.

Advice to Management

I think management was fine where I worked but advice i would offer would be to listen to the salon employees and try to help them out because the things i knew we wanted that management didn't help us with were related to safety and well being of employees and the dogs. Specifically it was really really cramped there and sometimes that compromised safety. Also some suggested grooming equipment to help restrain aggressive and excitable dogs would be good too.