PetSmart - 1506 Onalaska | Glassdoor

"1506 Onalaska"

Former Employee - Support Manager in Onalaska, WI
Former Employee - Support Manager in Onalaska, WI

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This store is probably the best big box retail store in the county as far as customer service. The only other stores I've seen with the level of friendliness and customer service in the area are Festival Foods and Best Buy respectively. The people genuinely care about animals, and for the most part contribute to the duties that need to be done. Fun place to work. Workers are not generally put under a great deal of pressure for minor infractions. Excellent job for part time employees. The only up I can give to upper management is that if you have a limited time to work, management will only schedule during those times.

Cons

Top management are not to be trusted; they spend their time hanging out in the office even after they have promised to help get duties complete on the floor. Lower management relies on rank and file employees to go the extra mile and help them out. Upper management has a history of duplicity, even ranging to clearly unethical business conduct. concerning customers Top management has created a culture of discrimination against males. One male manager hired in the past 4 years (knowing it would be temporary), and he had exemplary qualifications, with at least 6 or 7 positions in that time. Males are regularly given distasteful tasks. Males are regularly harassed about minor violations in policy that females regularly flaunt.

Advice to Management

Lower management and middle management clearly work hard and recognize good work among employees. It seems upper management is too insulated from floor activities from either administrative work or indolence to recognize what is going on in specific departments to make competent decisions as far as reviews/promotions/store operations, etc. Furthermore, their actions are not complementary with what they say, or how they act. This has caused an environment of distrust.. The "cons" section speaks for itself in terms of inclusiveness (although I've heard this has improved lately, some may say it is only a "token" improvement). Although it is nice that employees aren't "sweated for the small stuff," like in some places, accountability is a major issue at this store. Poor work performance is not dealt with to the degree that it should be. I worked at this store for awhile, and I never saw anyone terminated despite repeated insubordination and poor work performance.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Management is so rude"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nesconset, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nesconset, NY

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice to work with animals

Cons

Youre never good enough, and are constantly being rushed
    Managers are selfish, and dont care

"PetSmart is a fun, fast pace work environment."

Current Employee - Cashier in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usually pretty fast paced. If you work in Petcare it is much more enjoyable because there are things to fill your time with. Management is very friendly. They prefer to hire from within, so you can really move up in the store.

Cons

There can be a lot of pressure to perform. Wages aren't spectacular. The store can be painfully slow at times. If you work in Petcare sometimes you have to play doctor with sick animals that we are clearly not qualified to care for.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees, we are the ones who really know how this store is run. The Petcare department receives hours based on their pet sales. This makes it really hard to keep the store clean, because if you don't sell that many animals there is hardly enough time to clean up after the animals we have.