PetSmart - Depends on your store | Glassdoor

"Depends on your store"

Current Employee - Pet Trainer in Long Beach, CA
Current Employee - Pet Trainer in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pet Trainer
Some stores are a great place to work--a great team and supportive of your classes and record keeping etc, Understand your sales and allow you to build a business and start rolling your classes from beg to int to adv etc.. Some stores are great!
You also get to make commission so if you are good you have the opportunity to make good money and run your own classes.

Cons

Some stores are disorganized and VERY slow to get you on the schedule to train. VERY pushy when it comes to sales and selling your/your coworkers classes--Even when the store is slow and very few customers come into the store you are still expected to sell training classes--so they want me to try to push a Dog training class on the 4 people who came in for crickets today??? Lame. If you have an education and are over qualified for this position DON'T apply for it--Mindless cashier work for 3 months before you will get to train dogs at all, plus the pushy used car sales man attitude when it comes to sales--its frustrating!
Also--I was hired on as full time, but hours have dropped from 40hr/wk to 22hr a week because the store is slow--this should have been told to me in the job interview when I asked about the hours/pay etc. I would have turned it down and kept looking for a 40 hr/wk job.

Advice to Management

Don't threaten your employees to sell more classes--motivate and encourage them. No one wants to hear "I talked to the manager on the phone today and she asked if you sold any classes today- I told her not yet. she wants to know at the end of the day how many lives you have saved (training classes sold) So You better sell some classes today because she knows that its you here today and she knows that you have not sold any classes yet." *disappointed look from support manager*
Train and equip your employees, dont threaten them-- especially for $10/hr.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Cashier/Stocker"

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy place to work in.

Cons

Sometimes its hard to get through a shift because we are understaffed.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and be a little more open to ideas.

2. "Great work environment, good pay and benefits-even for part-time employees"

Current Employee - Cashier in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, comprehensive on-going training, great benefits

Cons

Demanding/rude customers, animals released in store because owners didn't want them anymore, seeing sad/abused animals.