PetSmart - Petsmart | Glassdoor

"Petsmart"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

working with animals, helping like minded people. Satisfaction that you can make a difference in a pet parent and pets life. Company benefits are great and the pay is very competitive. Team players within the District, all managers are very nice and helpful, no matter which store you contact.

Cons

not able to manage due to having to task because not given enough hours for associates. Not company but District micro managing makes it difficult to get all tasks done on time, finding it necessary to work more hours in a day than you should.

Advice to Management

This is not the job for you if you are not someone who is willing to work the hours it takes to get the job done, normal hours for a day is 10, but finding it to be more like 12-14 at times. Also, you must be able to multi-task and have a very good ability to pay attention to details.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, a lot of support from management, clear mission/vision, steady long-term growth initiatives

Cons

The pay is decent, but could be more competitive for such a successful company.

"Associates, customers, and students were great but there is way too much pressure on pet trainers to sell classes."

Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Brentwood, TN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates are great and I made some amazing friends. I really enjoyed teaching owners and their dogs and seeing them progress. I loved helping customers find what they were looking for, pick out things for their new puppy and hearing their stories.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure put on the Pet Trainers to sell classes. My store manager gave all my upcoming classes to other trainers because he felt I hadn't sold enough classes, even though another trainer was selling the same amount as me. In order to get my classes back I was expected to sell classes for the other trainers.

Advice to Management

Instead of taking a trainer's classes away because they aren't selling enough, give them a probationary period of two weeks or so where they can prove to you that they can step up their game and help them with sales by giving them tips on how to sell. You make trainers preach positive reinforcement but when it comes to your own employees it is no where to be found.

Actually listen to your employees. If someone comes to you with a problem or concern, don't fight them or pretend like they don't matter. Give them a positive and safe place where they can feel comfortable voicing their opinions and concerns without being judged.