PetSmart - Associates, customers, and students were great but there is way too much pressure on pet trainers to sell classes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

"Associates, customers, and students were great but there is way too much pressure on pet trainers to sell classes."

Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Brentwood, TN
Former Employee - Pet Trainer in Brentwood, TN

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates are great and I made some amazing friends. I really enjoyed teaching owners and their dogs and seeing them progress. I loved helping customers find what they were looking for, pick out things for their new puppy and hearing their stories.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure put on the Pet Trainers to sell classes. My store manager gave all my upcoming classes to other trainers because he felt I hadn't sold enough classes, even though another trainer was selling the same amount as me. In order to get my classes back I was expected to sell classes for the other trainers.

Advice to Management

Instead of taking a trainer's classes away because they aren't selling enough, give them a probationary period of two weeks or so where they can prove to you that they can step up their game and help them with sales by giving them tips on how to sell. You make trainers preach positive reinforcement but when it comes to your own employees it is no where to be found.

Actually listen to your employees. If someone comes to you with a problem or concern, don't fight them or pretend like they don't matter. Give them a positive and safe place where they can feel comfortable voicing their opinions and concerns without being judged.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Excellent first job for me."

Current Employee - Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've no clue what the deal is with all the negative reviews, but I suppose it varies from store to store.

- Great customers and pets that come in
    - Decent wages for first time job
    - Clean environment
    - No issue managing work and school with the hours given
    - Easy to earn bonuses

Cons

- Not as many hours as I would like (Though I think that was mostly because of my school schedule)
    - A little difficult to move up into higher management, but that might be because the store is so new? (This one, I mean)

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service/PetCare in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service/PetCare in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at PetSmart. The managers were usually very nice (though I had a couple who didnt know what they were doing, but they got fired) and the company was all about customer service. They did lots of fun contests where we could win prizes, and also would occasionally have parties where theyd provide food and drinks (usually around the holidays) that we could all partake in.

Cons

The only con here is that you dont really do exactly what youre hired for, you bounce around to stocker, pet care, cashier, etc. But, I actually liked mixing it up sometimes. Oh, and my store didnt really do an associate of the month type of thing. When they did decide to do it (randomly) you just got a 'soda card' for a free soda, bettre than nothing I guess, but when I worked at kohls, they rewarded you with a bonus in your check and you got to pick out an item from a catalougue, such as a personalized blanket, etc.