PetSmart - Good job, iffy management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for PetSmart

"Good job, iffy management."

Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Schaumburg, IL
Former Employee - EARLY MORNING STOCKER in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule. They are good about following your availability and making sure you get the hours you can work. They are also very good at letting you get extra hours or staying longer than your shift if you want to. The stocking was typically 5 or 6 in the morning until 11 or 12. There is always lots of work to do so time flies pretty quickly.

Cons

The management is very disorganized. I was told one thing by the store manager, and another by the manager directly below her. The store manager at the time I was there would go on 1-3 smoke breaks every hour but would complain when people paused for a minute or two from stocking. They were also way too lenient about some things. Some guys that got hired after me would repeatedly show up an hour or more late or sometimes not even show up without notice. They let it fly. Also, many times I would show up right at 6 and have to wait 10-15 minutes for the manager to get there and unlock the door. Another negative is that they would throw away perfectly good toys after they were on clearance for a certain amount of time, and wouldn't let me donate them to the different adoption agencies that they "support."

Advice to Management

Have meetings that are solely for managers to go over what policies you support, and what you tell employees so that there are is miscommunication and confusion.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Best gig going for a groomer"

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guarenteed pay, not just commision

Cons

Can't come and go as you please like a private groom shop

"Not worth staying."

Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Lead in Seattle, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked there for nine years. Overall a positive environment. Everyone there loves and cares about pets. For the most part (here and there exceptions) little cattiness, backstabbing, highschool games.

Cons

Does not pay a living wage, at least not for the regular associates. Chances to move "up" are few and far between, and seem to be based on luck. Company does not follow it's own policies: for example, we're not supposed to sell fish to people who have tanks too small for the fish - but management would almost always shut us down if we tried to refuse sales. We're not supposed to sell fish for parties, fundraising events and the like -- but again, management just wants money. Constantly caught between trying to do what's right for the animal and what's right for the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Give the employees clear, consistent policies to follow. Corporate "policies and procedures" should be followed consistently in each and every store. Not left to the individual store's managers to interpret at whim. That might help with morale - knowing there's a code to live/work by that is consistent. Rather than trying to follow ten different manager's different rules and juggle all of that while still trying to help the pet parents.