PetSmart - OK | Glassdoor

"OK"

I worked at PetSmart full-time

Pros

The employees where great to work with.

Cons

Lack of Training for the overall processes of operations.

Advice to Management

Better Mentors and Training in the first 6 months.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "good"

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

petsmart as a retailer is not bad

Cons

you get paid less than other big retailers

"Pet hotel associate"

Former Employee - PetsHotel Guest Services Associate in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - PetsHotel Guest Services Associate in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at PetSmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with dogs and cats, it can be so much fun seeing all the cute animals and discussing issues with pet parents. You get to see all different breeds of dogs which was great. I also worked with some very nice people, everyone had such a love for animals. There are a variety of positions in the store. If you do become full-time the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The position I had was very stressful. I was hired as a guest services associate assuming I would be working at the front desk of the hotel, as well as handling some things in the back. I was then later told that I actually had two position titles and that I would be supervising doggy day camp sometimes as well. It turned in to me standing in a room full of dogs all day cleaning up their waste and trying to prevent fights between them. (A big percentage of the staff that was hired for the pet hotel requested a position change and transfered to the salon for pets. There are some positions in the store that seemed good.) Many dogs were allowed in the play room regardless of the fact they werent very good with other dogs. It seemed as though making the money was more important than the well being of the animals. Even after discussing these issues with my manager it seemed as though it made no difference.

The location I worked at was also very understaffed for the amount of animals we were supervising, this resulted in animals not being cared for properly which was very upsetting. Some examples are animals not being fed when the pet parents asked. Dogs sitting in kennels with waste for long periods of time because there was no one to do relief walks. Cats were supposed to be taken out of their cages twice daily for half an hour each time, which rarely ever happened. On many occasions pets did not receive the things that owners requested for their pet, things like extra play time and ice cream. Owners pay more money for these requests and my manager wanted us to lie to them so they wouldnt be dissatisfied.

Many employees were hired under the assumption that they would be full-time and receive benefits, later finding out that they were only part-time with full time hours and would not get benefits. I later received full-time status and benefits over some other employees and was instructed not to let my co-workers know.

Advice to Management

I know that the pet hotel is a money making business. However, I think this company needs to pay more attention to the type of care the animals are receiving. This means having more staff on hand so the animals are not neglected.