PetSmart - Awesome | Glassdoor

"Awesome"

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Ann Arbor, MI
Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good people to work with. They are very serious about providing excellent customer service. I would work here again in a heartbeat!

Cons

I didn't find any cons about working here. It was my first job and I got paid a decent amount for a part-time employee

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Fun working environment!"

Pros

Great group of people and made a lot of friends. Management was very considerate of student schedule and worked with me!

Cons

Not too many cons as a young employee there. Great first job to gain experience- plus you get to see the animals!

"Generally negative 5 year experience in the live animal department ("Pet Care")"

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Silverdale, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The benefits for full-time hourly employees are quite good for retail.

-If you enjoy animals, most all positions interact with them daily.

-Both customers and employees tend to be animal lovers and animal lovers seem to be pleasant more often than not.

Cons

-Inflation will outpace your 15 cent annual raises by two or even threefold.

-Promotion to middle management will still leave you hovering over minimum wage.

-The company is unwilling to pay in labor for the quality of care that they request for the live animals. This forces the most honest and hard-working employees in Pet Care to cut corners and lie by omission routinely.

-By alerting any level of management about the physical impossibility of following all policies and procedures due to insufficient labor, you immediately become both a troublemaker and also an inefficient worker. "If 1200 other stores can do it, why can't you?" Answer: They don't, I've worked in and asked employees in other stores.

-Far too many of the live animals (particularly the rodents) die of a wide range of afflictions. This appeared to be a result of puppy-mill breeding conditions, not the in store medical care which is actually commendable. Still, it was not infrequent for over half of the Syrian hamsters to succumb to wet-tail within a week of delivery.)

Advice to Management

-Provide enough labor to follow policies verbatim, or adjust the policies so that employees do not all independently decide which to discreetly disregard.

-Stop evaluating employee morale; it gives us the impression you're going to do something to improve it.

-It is fine to provide employees an occasional 30% off coupon, but calling it "employee appreciation" is insulting. We know how much the product is marked up. As we straddle the poverty line, please do not suggest that such a gimmick is a substitute for a Christmas bonus.

-New hire cashiers at the retail establishment across the street were making 75 cents more an hour than I was after 5 years with the company. Nobody is asking for Costco living wages, just enough to not feel insulted.