PetSmart - Fun working environment! | Glassdoor

"Fun working environment!"

Pros

Great group of people and made a lot of friends. Management was very considerate of student schedule and worked with me!

Cons

Not too many cons as a young employee there. Great first job to gain experience- plus you get to see the animals!

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "petcare manager"

Current Employee - Petcare Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Petcare Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company culture, good company ethics, and I get to work with pets.

Cons

dealing with the general public but then again that is all retail lol

Advice to Management

stop paying outside hires more than internal promotions

"Generally negative 5 year experience in the live animal department ("Pet Care")"

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Silverdale, WA

I worked at PetSmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The benefits for full-time hourly employees are quite good for retail.

-If you enjoy animals, most all positions interact with them daily.

-Both customers and employees tend to be animal lovers and animal lovers seem to be pleasant more often than not.

Cons

-Inflation will outpace your 15 cent annual raises by two or even threefold.

-Promotion to middle management will still leave you hovering over minimum wage.

-The company is unwilling to pay in labor for the quality of care that they request for the live animals. This forces the most honest and hard-working employees in Pet Care to cut corners and lie by omission routinely.

-By alerting any level of management about the physical impossibility of following all policies and procedures due to insufficient labor, you immediately become both a troublemaker and also an inefficient worker. "If 1200 other stores can do it, why can't you?" Answer: They don't, I've worked in and asked employees in other stores.

-Far too many of the live animals (particularly the rodents) die of a wide range of afflictions. This appeared to be a result of puppy-mill breeding conditions, not the in store medical care which is actually commendable. Still, it was not infrequent for over half of the Syrian hamsters to succumb to wet-tail within a week of delivery.)

Advice to Management

-Provide enough labor to follow policies verbatim, or adjust the policies so that employees do not all independently decide which to discreetly disregard.

-Stop evaluating employee morale; it gives us the impression you're going to do something to improve it.

-It is fine to provide employees an occasional 30% off coupon, but calling it "employee appreciation" is insulting. We know how much the product is marked up. As we straddle the poverty line, please do not suggest that such a gimmick is a substitute for a Christmas bonus.

-New hire cashiers at the retail establishment across the street were making 75 cents more an hour than I was after 5 years with the company. Nobody is asking for Costco living wages, just enough to not feel insulted.