PetSmart - LOVE IT! | Glassdoor

"LOVE IT!"

Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Ontario, CA
Current Employee - Pet Training Instructor in Ontario, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love as a trainer for Petsmart. Being able to help owners improve their relationship with their dogs and keep dogs out of shelters, I always felt like I was saving a life! I loved having the dogs I trained come into the store and look for me and know exactly who I am. in less than two years, I trained over 300 dogs and im still going! :)

Cons

Because of how many people that enjoy working for Petsmart, its a long wait for a open position for management.

Advice to Management

Learn as much as you can in every department and work hard!

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

"Little pay, but expectations to be a team player and "CARE" is always hovering over your head."

Current Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are typically nice and the discount is okay but they should change it to 30% or at least offer a free daycamp a month to hotel associates for the ridiculously long hours they work especially as supervisors and managers.

Cons

No follow through for bad employees, pay is low for the expectations, staff is short ALL the time, dogs are crazy to the point of always fighting, Store manager doesn't care about anything other than herself and her bonus (which comes from the employees hard work), take on way too many dogs for the staff to handle, management doesn't know policies and procedures in the petshotel, senior pet care are responsible for everything, more than management is even it seems. No hoursto give out, No full time positions except management essentially, and they don't care if you can't pay bills. When I first started working there it was all about the pets but than they got investors involved and that all went down the drain. Now its all about the money and putting budget wayyyy out of range.

Advice to Management

Try to "CARE" about your employees. Not seeing family for 5 years in a row for holidays sucks too. There should be a point where you can get a holiday off once every other year or something.

2. "Fun and flexible"

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Skokie, IL

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fun to work with the animals and you will learn a lot about pet care.
    The customers are usually friendly (as are most pet lovers).
    Management is laid back but professional and the coworkers are fun.
    They are very flexible if changes arise in your availability. Just submit the change in availability form and they adjust.
    Difficult to get fired - you would have to either steal or give out your employee number for discounts to non-employees.

Cons

High turnover rate.
    Not the greatest pay.
    Lots of cleaning after the animals and dealing with their smells....
    Don't always get the amount of hours you would like. A lot of people look for a second part time job to help pay the bills.