PetSmart - Passionate about pets | Glassdoor

"Passionate about pets"

Current Employee - Store Director in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Store Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As retail goes PetSmart is a great company to work for. I worked as an operations manager and store director for about ten years. The best part is working with the Pet Parents who come in with their pets are generally happy to be there, which makes all operations easier and the job enjoyable day in and out. Benefits are fantastic, and often make up for shortcomings on compensation. Work environment is fun.

Cons

Like most retail jobs there never seems to be enough labor for the amount of task PetSmart expects to be completed with an extremely high level of detail. The amount of task to be completed can often be overwhelming, and most of it they want completed outside of store operational hours; so you must be flexible in working above and beyond what's generally called for, especially if you are taking a salaried position.

Advice to Management

I loved working with PetSmart. Leadership training experiences were fantastic, but some of that leadership training should be directed to proven hourly management in the box who could really benefit from the morale boost and training from leadership programs.

Other Employee Reviews for PetSmart

1. "Loved the job, manager sucked though"

Former Employee - Pet Hotel Associate in Springfield, PA
    Former Employee - Pet Hotel Associate in Springfield, PA

I worked at PetSmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with animals, not having to deal with people if you don't want to

Cons

VERY underpaid for the amount of work you do, low chances for advancement, low raises

Advice to Management

CARE about your employees and pay them for what they do

2. "Great job if you want no life"

Current Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Escondido, CA

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you LOVE animals it's great. The few and far between "pet parents" that were genuinely caring were awesome and would sometimes make my day. At my store the Petshotel did have decent pay, but it might have just been my manager..

Cons

I worked in the hotel and the hours became more and more ridiculous as the years went on of working there. My manager was extremely selfish (although that may not pertain to all stores).
    They came up with a new "theme" called CARE but they don't even follow it, Banfield would always fight with us when we had an injured or sick pet that needed to be seen and store management never CARED.
    There is a high turnover rate due to how physically demanding the job is, and it became extremely frustrating when everything was always broken or missing, especially the a/c unit that was controlled by people in Phoenix, Arizona.
    Pet parents never understood that we have other dogs in the facility to care for besides their own and would become irate when something small was forgotten like giving a treat or brushing their pet everyday. They also never understood why we asked them to make reservations, which should be MANDATORY.
    Our hours were always being cut even though we were growing and becoming a high volume store, I guess the bottom line and dollar signs were more important.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees, we don't just complain because we're bored!
    Give us some holidays off! Working there for 3 years and not being able to spend time with my family on days like thanksgiving, christmas, and new years was painful and frustrating.
    Make it mandatory to make a reservation, and go PAPERLESS